cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT rounded IP profile

notme
Dabbler

BT rounded IP profile

My BT IP profile has never changed from the old rounded profile so last Saturday I decided to do a "hard" reset to see if on reconnect the profile would show the new % method.
Pulled the Router power plug and after a short time reconnected. It made no difference at all to the IP profile but the sync. rate had increased. This should have increased the profile to a higher band but after nearly six days that hasn't happened either.
Before disconnect (05/11/11)
Sync. - 17877 Kbps
IP Profile - 15000 Kbps
After reconnect (05/11/11-11/11/11)
Sync. - 18485 Kbps
IP Profile - 15000 Kbps
So I'm not only still on the old profile but the wrong one?
Anyone any idea why?
25 REPLIES 25
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: BT rounded IP profile

Hi notme,
Can you post the results of a BT Speed test for me?
Jojo Smiley
notme
Dabbler

Quote from: Joanne
Hi notme,
Can you post the results of a BT Speed test for me?
Jojo Smiley

Jojo,
Will have to try later. For some reason BT Speedtester doesn't want to play at the moment- was OK yesterday but have tried half a dozen times and just reporting error.
notme
Dabbler

Jojo,
Stats as requested.
Filename is number-time-date. Hope that makes sense?
The Router has been rock steady @ 17877 Kbps prior to disconnect and now seems to be holding @ 18485 Kbps without problem. The interleaving is at quite a high value. This was done by yourselves to offset instability on line. SNR Margin usually runs at 3.5-4.0 dB.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

It doesn't look as if your exchange has been upgraded yet so the current PN setting of 15000 is correct.
I suggest you run the BT speedtest once a day to see when it changes to the new 88.2% value and then post again then.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
notme
Dabbler

@ jelv
I do run the BT Speedtester every day and am aware that I'm still on the old profiling system, even though the consensus seems to be that all exchanges have been modified.
You will see from the results that I am now syncing at 18485 Kbps which in old money equates to an IP Profile of 16000 Kbps and not 15000 Kbps. I had expected it to change during the last six days to the higher rate - but it hasn't.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI notme,
We were under the impression that all MSANs were upgraded. I've sent an email to our suppliers to ask for clarification on this. In the meantime, your current syn rate would give a profile of about 16300 so I'll change our side to that and you can let me know if it makes any difference.
Jojo Smiley
notme
Dabbler

Thanks Jojo.
Wasn't too bothered about the speed increase. was more bothered about making you aware "antiquebrit" wasn't an isolated case and that the IP adjustment doesn't appear to be working. Forgot to mention that I disconnected the Router prior to 10th o  October and the IP Profile dropped to 13000 Kbps but recovered to 15000 Kbps within a few days - now it doesn't seem to be doing that?
I don't have a bad connection speed anyway and don't see the point in pushing for the last few Kbps at the speed I've got. Nowadays, by the time webpages have been minutely checked for viruses and I've blocked the umpteen trackers that come with every page and then loaded all the other junk that improve our internet experience, speed isn't of any great importance - once you reach a certain point.
Have to say that this forum isn't too bad for trackers and only seems to have the "evergreen" Google Analytics to block whereas some have 15 or 16.
To be honest I can't say I've noticed much difference from when I was on ADSL Max at a steady 7000+ Kbps.
notme
Dabbler

Jojo,
BT Speedtester now showing an IP Profile of 16308 Kbps. Will see how it goes over the weekend and let you know state of play on Monday.
antiquebrit
Grafter

Hi notme,
As you have probably seen, from the "IP Profile - 88.2 method" topic, I am still having the same problems as yourself and PN have even resorted to a sadly unproductive engineer visit.
I still believe that the problem lies at our respective exchanges, either from human or equipment fault.
Where do we go from here? Will the December full delta reports provide the answer?
Who knows. Undecided
notme
Dabbler

Hi Jojo,
Sync. rate been steady at 18485 Kbps and IP Profile holding at 16308 Kbps.
Don't know why but it looks as if I.m on a mixture of the old and new profiling systems?
I'm not sure how much confidence I can have in the download speeds from the BT Speedtester, at the moment, as it seems to be returning some strange values and sometimes seems to be reluctant connecting. Earlier today it returned a download speed of 8900+ Kbps whereas the PN and Speedtest.net testers were both in the 15000+ Kbps range - quite a difference?
I'm beginning to think that come the end of this month I need to be stocking up on the popcorn and beer - ready for the glorious 12th December. I'm sure there are more than two of us not on the new 88.2% system and will be interesting to find out why?
Results below from lunchtime.
antiquebrit
Grafter

Jojo,
Has there been any response yet to your email?
"I've emailed our suppliers to ask if they have upgraded all as they said or whether I'm to treat them as faults."
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi guys,
I got this late on yesterday...
[quote=email]We have had trouble with it not being switched on for a small number of new (Vendor) MSANs but that was all fixed by end of last week.
It could be Plusnet have seen lines on these MSANs up until the fix was fully finished.
We have also found one (Vendor) MSAN with the wrong firmware I believe and that will be fixed in a PEW tonight.
So if Plusnet find any new ones that re-sync from tomorrow and are still not getting the new profiles then please raise them as faults.
So hopefully a re-sync today may just do the trick.
Jojo Smiley
antiquebrit
Grafter

Jojo,
It has not happened for me yet.
See screenshot after router soft reboot 10.05 today. Sad
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Soft reboot? Do you mean a disconnect/reconnect via the router interface? If so that won't have dropped sync with the exchange so I wouldn't expect to see a new profile. You need to completely disconnect. Recommend disconnect via router interface and then a full router reboot.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)