cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT & PlusNet Line profiles different

MacOS10
Grafter

BT & PlusNet Line profiles different

Since PlusNet have moved me across to the 21CN network (but remaining on my existing product 'Broadband Plus Up to 8Mb"), my speeds have improved since the end of last year when everyone seemed to be having problems on PlusNet.
However, I have a query.. My router reports I'm syncing at 12933 kbps (downstream) and 448 kbps (upstream). A BT Speed Test reports my line profile is 10000 Kbps, but... I logged on to my account in PlusNet's Member Centre, and went to the following page:
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
and it reports my line speed profile is 6500 kbps.
Is this normal to have 3 different speeds reported. I can understand my router saying it's connected at a higher rate and that the line profile will effectively "cap" the speed, but surely the BT profile and the PlusNet profile should match. I would have thought they'd both be at 8000 kbps - the maximum allowed on my current product "Up to 8Mb".
Please see below the BT Speed Test, the PlusNet profile page and my router stats. Could you please advise...
PlusNet's Profile:
Estimated line speed:
   Not recorded (service activated before we introduced estimates).
Current line speed:

BT's Speed Test:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 5797 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 1000-99999 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :12932 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 10000 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 14.92:28.19:56.89 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.
The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes.

My router stats:
Port	Status		TxPkts	RxPkts  Collisions	Tx B/s	Rx B/s  Up Time
WAN PPPoA 57119 87095 0 317 2431 09:57:53
LAN 10M/100M 9322 0 0 5 0 119:28:43
WLAN 11M/54M 569618 391594 0 1350 167 119:28:38
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 12933 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 24.5 db 11.9 db
Noise Margin 8.6 db 25.0 db

Thanks for any advice. Is it possible to increase the PlusNet profile to match the BT one, I've read on the forums that PlusNet's profiles sometimes need to be manually increased. Is that right? I've just opened a new question on this in the Member Centre (ticket number: 31721117). Any chance someone can have a look? Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: BT & PlusNet Line profiles different

I would suggest you need to raise a ticket to get your PN profile matched to the BT one.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
MacOS10
Grafter

Yep, already done (see above). Thing is, the speeds are OK at the moment, averaging about 5.8Mb most times. So I was in two minds about just leaving things as they are, you know "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!". But if any more can be squeezed out of my "Up to 8Mb" connection, then it may be worth doing. I'm not expecting to get any faster than 8Mb, as that's limited by my product, but somewhere approaching that would be even better than it is currently.
What confuses me is the BT profile at 10000 kbps, surely it shouldn't go beyond 8000 kbps should it, if my product is "up to 8Mb"? Or is it just PlusNet that caps it at a maximum of 8Mb, even if the BT profile says higher? Apologies for the extra questions, I'm just not sure how these things work in practice.
jonnyfriendly
Grafter

Hi
Just reporting im having a similar problem - profiles different
Im using an Imac with Safari and am having particular problems during early evening
Im off now to try the Bt speedtest - will post if i learn anything
ramidoodle
Grafter

@MacOS10  just updated your account with the correct line profile. Your account hasn't been updated automatically due to incorrect line info (Circuit ID), I've updated this as well.
You might need to reconnect in order to get the new speed profile.
MacOS10
Grafter

RamiDoodle,
Thank you, appreciate that! Just checked on the PlusNet site and it's increased. Will close that ticket now. Cheers.
Cheesy