Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Wholesale page keeps popping up now?

diddydo75
Grafter

BT Wholesale page keeps popping up now?

Hi,
Im lucky enough to have a FTTC connection and have to say it has been a joy! Recently though the BT wholesale page pops up telling me I cannot connect at the moment as my ISP is not accepting any connections. If I disconnect from my router and then reconnect it seems to solve the issue but it will then happen again. Has anyone else had this issue?
Many thanks
Did
5 REPLIES 5
prichardson
Grafter

Re: BT Wholesale page keeps popping up now?

Hi diddydo75,
Do you happen to be using a Netgear WNR1000 router?
If so, can you confirm the last time you rebooted the Netgear and the Openreach modem?
There is presently a known issue with the way the Netgear reacts to outages and maintenance. It can cause the page you refer to, to crop up anything from minutes following the outage/work through to several weeks (sometimes not appearing at all).
Work has been performed in our suppliers network that we are led to believe should mean this cannot occur any more, though the problem will still exist with the Netgear itself. So I am interested to know when the last connection was that will help indicate if this should be resolved for yourself or not.
diddydo75
Grafter

Hi,
Yes i have that router and have not rebooted either of them. Is it easy to do?
Many thanks
Did
prichardson
Grafter

First, power cycle the Openreach modem. This can be done by taking the power cable out for 2 to 5 seconds so it is powered down fully, then plugging the cable back in.
The Netgear as a power button on the back by the cables, press this and allow 2 to 5 second with the lights off on it, then press it again.
Both units should restore your connection in around 2 to 5 minutes following this and it should return to normal.
diddydo75
Grafter

I will give it a go, by doing that though will it not look like I have had a disconnect or does that not matter with fibre?
Right here goes...
well everything is working fingers crossed that has sorted it out.
Many thanks for your help
Did
prichardson
Grafter

Not a problem.
You are correct, on some occasions the actual broadband network may not see you as having disconnected. This is normal, but as it isn't the part of the network with the issue, it doesn't specifically need to see you disconnect.
The actual problem you are having was as noted, an issue with the way the Netgear works and a problem in its firmware. It stores some details it really shouldn't indefinitely. No other routers we have come across do this, though when we did dig into it, there is actually nothing within the technical standards documented that mandate that the Netgear should "forget" about the offending data.
As I noted, our suppliers have made changes, but anybody that had a router that has received settings subjected to the problems before they did this work, would still see the problem.
Unfortunately I am not saying this problem will not happen again, but we are not expecting it to. So please let us know if you see this again.