cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Wholesale Message

ddsabre2011
Grafter

BT Wholesale Message

Could someone explain to me why for the past few days I keep getting redirected to a BTwholsale web page whenever I go on the web??? Is there a problem with the broadband service or is it some sort of spam?? my router and modem both show a full set of lights as they should..Just a thought for you techie folks..thank you.
15 REPLIES 15
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: BT Wholesale Message

Hi ddsabre2011,
If you log into your router and set the DNS manually to 212.159.6.9 & 212.159.6.10 that should cure it.
Jojo Smiley
ddsabre2011
Grafter

Done that now jo. will let you know if I keep getting them..Best regards.
mapletree
Grafter

FYI: I had a similar problem until today.  I did suspect a DNS issue because it was only affecting (wireless) connections using DHCP.  On all the wired PCs I have manually set up all the parameters including using the other DNS servers 212.159.13.49 and ..13.50.  The router was giving out the DNS addresses mentioned earlier in this thread (212.159.6.9 & 10) when the problem manifested itself.  Resetting the router seemed to fix the problem (for now) even though it was still handing out the same DNS details.
Therefore I don't think it's as simple as just changing DNS settings.
DiMum
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

I've recently moved to FTTC and as a result have a new Netgear N150 router. Most settings are still as supplied, so clients are using DHCP and being told to use the router for DNS.
I see apparently random DNS lookups to the router returning 62.6.38.125 (http://62.6.38.125/index.html is the BT Wholesale message). The router is reporting that it is using DNS servers 212.159.6.10 and 212.159.6.9. Lookups sent directly to 212.159.13.49, 212.159.13.49 or 212.159.6.9 (I haven't tried 212.159.6.10 yet) are always returning the correct IPs.
Could this be a router firmware bug?
So as mapletree hints, the workaround may have to be manually configuring client networking.
Steven
DiMum
Dabbler

I've manually set the router to use 212.159.13.49 and 212.159.13.50 as suggested here: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,103357.0.html
I'll see if that improves things.
Steven
mapletree
Grafter

As the problem took quite a while to manifest itself (for me anyway) we won't be sure if the problem is fixed.  Anyway I should be getting a different router soon so will probably ditch the Netgear.
DiMum
Dabbler

Three days without a problem after manually configuring the router's DNS servers.
My best guess is that the modem was from time to time briefly telling the router to use the wrong DNS, which then delivered the IP of the BT Wholesale Message.
Steven
mapletree
Grafter

I've found the WNR1000v3 a bit flaky in general and I will be glad to replace it ASAP.  Right now it's not displaying any of the DNS settings.  The web UI has always been very slow too.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hi mapletree, I think you may be right about DNS issues being behind the problem. Buggy modem/router firmware may exacerbate the problem. I've noticed a lot of slow or failed look-ups the last few days, whereas previously it was only occasional. I don't wait for the time-outs any more, I just refresh or close the tab and start again (and before anybody suggests it could be the machine, that's on 3 different machines and different browsers)
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've also seen, over the last few days, the occasional page not loading - which normally never happens.
However whatever is going on (for me) is NOT DNS related, as my PCs all point at my own caching DNS servers on my home network, and those servers are not reporting lookup problems, and are returning results from cache WITHOUT needing to do a DNS request from an external DNS server.
If anything, it looks like a Plusnet or BT connectivity problem, and for me it is the Plusnet 'Member Centre' that fails to load pages most frequently, whereas the usual problematic sites such as eBay have been working perfectly.
Anotherone
Champion

Hmm, maybe I should try and investigate a bit more thoroughly. I think you are right anyway about the connectivity issues, I suspect it has something to do with the way the network has been "patched-up" for want of a better way of describing it, since the crash on the 19th.
The Member Centre has always been bad,  most of us that have moaned before have giiven up as it always falls on deaf ears  Roll_eyes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm actually quite surprised that I even have a connection, as my nearest BT connection point is under a manhole cover in the pavement outside my front door.  The pavement, and all the ground around my house is under inches of water, so the phone connections must be under at least two feet of water.
I have just checked my router stats, and I have the same attenuation as normal, no errors, no drops, and the usual full line speed.
I have had to dig a ditch around the house and am currently battling against the floodwaters with two high powered electric pumps and large diameter hoses.  I should be OK unless the electricity goes off.
Anotherone
Champion

OMG, best of luck.
mapletree
Grafter

The problem here got progressively worse until no correct pages were served to any of the mobile devices.  Everything that used static settings carried on working all the time so it was not a connectivity issue here.  Rebooting the router seemed to clear the problem, at least for now.  I think it's a router bug - one of many.
@purleigh: good luck with the floods.