Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Test FTTC

rbel
Grafter

Re: BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Test FTTC

Chris
Any feedback as yet?  I still keep trying once a week but no joy.
dick:quote
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Nothing as of yet.
It's being tracked under Case Reference: HD597579 - I've sent another e-mail off requesting an update, again.
AndyH
Grafter

Hi Chris
Have you heard anything back on this (I haven't tried the test for a little bit)?
Thanks
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

We've got all the necessary contacts from within BT now so I'm hoping for an update at some point this week.
Sorry it's taking so long.
AndyH
Grafter

Hi Chris - no worries about the delay.
I tried the test this evening (speeds were below my 60Mbps acceptable level) and the DNS problem looks like it's been fixed. The assigned DNS servers correctly resolve test3.speedtest.btwholesale.com - this is positive.
Unfortunately, the website still won't load though as it just says "Connecting..." in the browser status bar so I am assuming that access to the *.speedtest.btwholesale.com domain and subdomain need to be whitelisted for the assigned IP with the test account - or something along those lines.
**Edit: I should add when pinging the test3.speedtest.btwholesale.com domain on TCP Port 80, it is being blocked when using the test account. When I switch back to my Plusnet account, the port is open/responding to my requests.
AndyH
Grafter

Chris - do you know where we're at with this?
BT Wholesale seem to be very reluctant to fix the problem - yet they are still asking ISPs to tell end users to run the test (https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/TAP3-test-issues/td-p/1229695/highlight/false)  Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed
It's almost like they don't want people to run the test and see that speed slow downs are within their network.
Edit: We've gone one step forward and then ten steps backwards  Sad The assigned DNS servers are refusing to allow you to connect for a lookup (at least before you could connect to them but they would refuse the lookup).

ppp0      Link encap::Point-to-Point Protocol 
          inet addr:172.16.73.138  P-t-P:81.146.179.4  Mask:255.255.255.255
          UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1492  Metric:1
          RX packets:3 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:1079 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:3
          RX bytes:54 (54.0 B)  TX bytes:79310 (77.4 KiB)

/tmp/home/root# cat /etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 194.72.9.34
nameserver 194.72.0.98

$ dig @194.72.9.34 test3.speedtest.btwholesale.com

; <<>> DiG 9.8.3-P1 <<>> @194.72.9.34 test3.speedtest.btwholesale.com
; (1 server found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached

$ dig @194.72.0.98 test3.speedtest.btwholesale.com

; <<>> DiG 9.8.3-P1 <<>> @194.72.0.98 test3.speedtest.btwholesale.com
; (1 server found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached

Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Andy,
Apologies for the lack of progress and updates.
I've requested an update from our suppliers but I'm yet to receive one I'm afraid. I do know, however, I have been made aware that a fix has been scheduled for 17th/18th May 2014 - this is the date that BT have got their release scheduled for.
I'm not sure there will be much in terms of updates until around this point, but I'll keep checking.
AndyH
Grafter

Ok thanks
Something else you might want to make them aware of (and this looks like a potential problem) is that they are assigning an IP from a private range (i.e. an internal IP) when you connect.
When I connect with my PN account details:
Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol 
          inet addr:81.174.169.xxx  P-t-P:195.166.128.184  Mask:255.255.255.255

(Inet addr is my assigned IP and the PPP address is the gateway I am connected to PTN-AG03)
When I connect with the BT Test account details:
inet addr:172.16.73.130  P-t-P:81.146.179.4  Mask:255.255.255.255

The Inet Address is from the assigned private IP range 172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255. I am not an expert in this, but I think this is totally wrong.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for that information.
I've passed on those details, along with this thread to the team involved for them to take a look.
AndyH
Grafter

Ok cool thanks. Any info they need, I am more than happy to help.
I do think they should stop asking their customers to ask end users to try and run the test until they are 100% sure it's fixed. It seems like some people have spent hours changing all kinds of settings to try and run the test, which is a waste of everyone's time as the test is broken.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

^^ totally agree on this one!
AndyH
Grafter

Hi Chris
I've tried the TAP3 test and it's still not working (despite the scheduled BT release) Angry
The exact same DNS problem happens - you cannot connect to the two assigned DNS addresses (194.72.9.34 and 194.72.9.98) when using the test account. Manually putting in an IP address for test3.speedtest.btwholesale.com also does not work - it just fails to connect.
The PT is also still suffering from the same issue where it cannot get the line details (see attached screenshot).
It's crazy how long it's taking BTW to fix this test. It's been down for close to six months now  Embarrassed
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Andy,
I'll get back to BTw on this one - there's not much more I can do to hurry this along though I'm afraid other than keep an eye on things and request further updates from the service team.
AndyH
Grafter

Hi Chris
Thanks - if you could chase them and pester them, that would be great.
It does seem to be a very low priority for BTW to fix, which is probably much to the frustration of all their customers. Amazingly the BTW Support Staff seem to still request that their CPs ask end users to run the test...
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'll keep on top of them and I'll let you know as soon as I get a further update.