cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Voyager 2110 periodically losing connection

kevmac

BT Voyager 2110 periodically losing connection

Internet light goes out. This used to happen only occasionally (e.g., once every several weeks) and it would come back fairly quickly. I've been on plusnet at my current location for about three and a half years. There have been no changes to my set up.
But in the past couple of weeks it's been happening regularly - about once or twice a day, though sometimes it might be OK for a day or two. But now when I lose the connection it doesn't come back unless I switch the router off and on. So far that always does the trick but it is annoying. Any ideas?
I notice that this model has been discontinued for a while now. I don't mind replacing it if it's a router fault but I want to be sure first.
14 REPLIES 14
jingo11

Re: BT Voyager 2110 periodically losing connection

have had the same problem bt voyager  seem to very senstive to line noise have u checked if there is any interference on the line
try a quite test next time it drops connection you can find how to if u search the forum
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Are the drops associated with using the phone?
When it drops immediately pick up the phone a listen to see if there is any noise on the line (press a single digit to stop the dial tone).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
colintivy
Rising Star

I used to have the same sort of history with a Voyager 210 (PN). This also got seriously worse over time and I replaced it with a Belkin N. I did see a post elsewhere (Ubuntu ?) where some found that certain electrolytics on the board were no longer working. If they were changed apparently all was well. I checked and they appeared to be bulging. They are 470 yfd 10 volt C119 and 2120yfd 10 volt C118. Taking the 4 screws under the rubber feet will loosen the case, a pair of internal clips inside each side will allow the case to be separated in two parts. I have not had time to test it so far but am hopeful. If anyone wants to try, I have 4 pairs on new capacitors spare because they come in packs of 5. Be aware that my example used "leadless" soldering which is more difficult to melt at ordinary iron temperatures. i do not know if they are all like that, the posters did not mention that as a problem.
colin     Wink
colintivy
Rising Star

I had a very similar experience with a PN Voyager 210 which got steadily worse over time. I read a post elsewhere (Ubuntu Forums?) of folk in trouble with this router which is similar but without the wireless system. The trouble was reportedly solved by changing two capacitors, C119 470 yfd 10 volt  and C118 220 yfd 10 volt, which were visibly bulging. Access to the board was by removing the 4 screws under the rubber feet and parting the case by operating the two internal catches on either side. In my case the capacitors (and presumably all the other PC connections) used "leadless" solder which melts at a higher temperature than normal. I have not yet had the opportunity to test the thing in use so cannot vouch for its efficacy. Because I had to buy packs of 5 capacitors, I have 4 spare of each for anyone who would like to have a go.
colintivy
Rising Star

Sorry about that, post 3 seemed to vanish into thin air so I rewrote it. Use whichever you fancy!
C.   
Denzil
Grafter

A the risk of heading off-topic, virtually all electronic components these use lead-free solder to comply with the EU ROHS directive which restricts use of toxic substances. Lead free solders do need higher temperatures, but these should be within the reach of the average iron.
@kevmac - If you ask Plusnet nicely they will send you a router for just the £4.99 P&P cost. As long as you stay for 12 months the router is free. It is worth replacing the microfilters as well. They can fail, and are cheap enough to replace.
kevmac

I've delayed posting back here because, since my original post, it's stayed connected and I was waiting for it to disconnect before trying one or two of your suggestions. Of course, it may be the case that it has disconnected and reconnected in periods when I've not been monitoring or not been on the PC. But it appears to have been up for several days.
Anyway, now that I've posted again I'm sure it's only a matter of time before it disconnects again!  Grin
Update: well, it happened again not long after posting. I was watching a YouTube video at the time, though I did reach the end.
@jelv, "When it drops immediately pick up the phone a listen to see if there is any noise on the line (press a single digit to stop the dial tone)."
No line noise. I'll try some new micro filters first.
mozzy
Dabbler

I had a similar problem with a Voyager 2110. I could not sustain a workable noise margin so the router just lost sync. The router would resync but fail to remake a connection to Plusnet I had to power down the router in order re-stablish a connection. Making or receiving telephone calls also caused my router to lose sync. After a while it seemed to work without any problems. Once during period of instability I contacted Plusnet and after a few calls it was decided to try a new router which Plusnet provided. I've had no trouble since. That was October 2010.   
kevmac

I've noticed that one of my micro filters, the one connected to my router as it happens, is very old. I do have a spare one, so the next time I lose connection I will try that first. If I still get problems I'll contact plusnet and ask for a new router.
My problem doesn't seem to be directly related to phone calls though. I've not been able to identify a pattern.
Btw, mozzy, what make is your new router? Is it still BT?
colintivy
Rising Star

Quote from: Denzil
A the risk of heading off-topic, virtually all electronic components these use lead-free solder to comply with the EU ROHS directive which restricts use of toxic substances. Lead free solders do need higher temperatures, but these should be within the reach of the average iron.

Thanks for that Denzil!  I am of the vintage of small Solon irons and Ersin Multicore, so did not know of these newfangled matters. We live and mostly learn!
Regards,
Colin
mozzy
Dabbler

Kevmac the router Plusnet provided is the Thomson TG585 v8. I've updated the Firmware from v7 as provided.
whelpton
Grafter

I can see on our end that the connection has dropped a few times over the past week or two as well. I would definitely recommend changing your micro filter at the earliest opportunity as they can fail easily.
kevmac

Hi Keith, it dropped again yesterday and I took the opportunity to change one micro filter. So far, it's been OK but it's less than a day since the last outage. I hadn't realised that I had a very old micro filter in there from pre-Plusnet days! If I lose connection again I'll get another micro filter and try it. Then if I'm still having a problem I'll try asking you for a new router.  Smiley
whelpton
Grafter

A colleague of mine is actioning this right this second. Lets hope we can get this resolved!