cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Voyager 1040 and WPA2

briank
Grafter

BT Voyager 1040 and WPA2

This issue may have been raised before, but I'm unclear what the solution is...

I've recently applied for the FTTP trial and the new Plusnet Hub One arrived today to replace my existing SpeedTouch 585.

I had no problems connecting to the new hub over wireless from my Windows 10 desktop or Windows 7 laptop.

However I also have a legacy 32bit XP desktop PC that I still need to use.

It has a BT Voyger 1040 wireless PCI card and I am unable to connect to the new Hub over wireless.

Is it because WPA2 is not supported by the old Voyager 1040 card?

If so, is there a workaround?

3 REPLIES 3
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: BT Voyager 1040 and WPA2

It seems you are not the only one, I found this on a BT Forum, there are a couple of things to try, or a new card.

briank
Grafter

Hmmm - the information in the BT forum is also a bit unclear but it does indicate other people have the same problem.

I do get the impression that the issue is with WPA2.

I may have to either buy a new Wireless card that supports WPA2 but plugs into an old style PCI connector (the old XP machine MoBo is pre-PCIe) or connect the XP machine to the hub using wired Ethernet.

Another option might be to connect the old Speedtouch 585 to the new hub using wired Ethernet so that it acts as a second Wireless Access point using WPA. It may create problems having two DHCP servers on the network (one in the Speedtouch router and another in the hub).

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Or if you don't have too many close neighbours change the Hub One to WPA, but if you have the option to use Ethernet that would be the best solution.