Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Subsidiary

alanb
Grafter

Re: BT Subsidiary

Quote from: Midnight
Let me put it this way if BT has a number of companys in it, thay should be split off in indevigual companys, so for example BT's Phone is setup as uk phones, have new shares for that company to go on the stock market with.

This is a misunderstanding of how large corporations are organised. It is normal for a large corporation to be split into separate divisions or subsidiaries, each of which is legally a separate company. There are no laws that require an independant listing on the stock exchange for each subsidiary.
I've spent most of my life working for large corporations. Every one of them was divided into several separate companies under the control of a single 'holding' company in exactly the same way as BT is. This is perfectly normal and desirable for lots of reasons.
Corporate structures like this have benefits which tend to be good for both the company and its customers. (That's not to say that such structures cannot be abused - they can, but the right structure can also reduce the risk of abuse.)
James
Grafter

Re: BT Subsidiary

Quote from: pjmarsh
Ian or someone may correct me on this, but I think Plusnet is a bit different to many parts of BT anyway.  Isn't Plusnet still it's own company, but is wholly owned by BT Retail?
Phil

Yes, we're an independently run arm of BT Retail.  We manage ourselves, but they own us.