cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Speedtester.

deekay
Grafter

BT Speedtester.

My download speeds are now so bad, that I decided to do a speed test using www.speedtester.com. This, I understand, is the one we are supposed to use.
I have now been trying to use it for seven days, trying several times each day. Every time I run it, it won't run, and gives me the error message:
The system is currently busy. Please try again shortly.
So, for the past week, I've not been able to test my speed using the 'official' tester.
Has anyone managed to use it, or does everyone get the same message each time?
Is there an acceptable alternative for me to try?
Many thanks
Keith
14 REPLIES 14
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Re: BT Speedtester.

Last weekend it wasn't working but they got it going again.  It is an extremely flaky tool and takes ages to get to work.  I've just tried it and get the usual 'test error' message.
MightyMouse
Grafter

I've just tried it and it's working at the moment.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

no the one you are supposed to use is the BT speed tester  www.speedtester.bt.com
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Quote from: pierre_pierre
no the one you are supposed to use is the BT speed tester  www.speedtester.bt.com

Yes, i was referring to the BT speedtester. just tried it again  - no joy Sad
deekay
Grafter

Sorry pierre_pierre. I meant www.speedtester.bt.com. Typing error!
Just tried it again and it's not working.

Keith
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Working OK for me, so it's not a global problem...
IP profile for your line is - 7150 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  8128 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 6334 kbps
lingbob
Grafter

It wasn't working a few minutes ago (now why am I not surprised  Shocked ).
Regards .....
chillypenguin
Grafter

I believe the BT speed tester reports as "unavailable" when it is busy. It could do with some extra bandwidth so it is available a little more often.
Chilly
artmo
Aspiring Champion

The other common message is 'test error'.  Once you've entered your phone number and clicked 'go' it takes ages before doing anything and generally I get 'test error'.
I think a number of ISPs rely on this tester.  Maybe it's too overloaded.
HPsauce
Pro

The information it gives is largely available elsewhere, certainly enough to start an investigation, e.g.:
IP Profile - PlusNet have access to that
Connection rate (sync speeds) - most people can, with a little help, find that from their router/modem
Throughput - loads of places to test at and PlusNet have their own favourite of course at http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/ ;
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Yes, the PN speedtester is excellent. It's the one I use whenever I need to check my speed.
From memory I think there is one piece of info that only the BT tester supplies and this is why PN always ask for it if anyone has a speed query.
HPsauce
Pro

It's just so flaky when busy (The BT one), I just got 3 different errors in a row trying it again, having waited the mandatory 3 hours.
PlusNet - what are you doing to "rattle BT's cage" on this one?
Incidentally, the "retry interval" was 30 minutes until quite recently and it's not so long ago that there was no restriction.
My own suspicion is that it's being used much more due to unsatisfactory performance for 2 main reasons:
1. Appallingly managed expectations by many ISP's of "8Mb broadband" as Max rolls out everywhere.
2. Cost-cutting on capacity by Tiscali etc. so actual performance at peak times is terrible.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

I just tried it three times, and got the message  "No known problems"    put my telephone number in the box  clicked on the GO button and three times I got this
(direct copy and paste)
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, speedtester@bt.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.
More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
Apache/1.3.27 Server at speedtester1.speedtester.bt.com Port 80

So if that is an unknown problem..... somebody wants their posterior well and truly booting....
cp:green Quote tags [quote]... and ... [/quote] added. ][/color]
lingbob
Grafter

Quote from: artmo
The other common message is 'test error'.  Once you've entered your phone number and clicked 'go' it takes ages before doing anything and generally I get 'test error'.
I think a number of ISPs rely on this tester.  Maybe it's too overloaded.

Maybe we should all raise this issue with our service providers, as suggested in the attached snapshot  Wink
Regards .....