cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Speedtester

coastergrotto
Grafter

BT Speedtester

On Monday I had a new hard disc installed in my laptop.    It's was running Vista SP1 so there were hundred of updates to be uploaded.  When I went to run the BT Speedtester I needed to load Java which I did following the links.  I now have Java (TM) 7 Update 4 and JavaFX 2.1.0 but the Speedtester will not run.    I have checked and they are both enabled in Internet Explorer and Firefox but when I load the Speedtester, the Java applet at the top of the page just keeps spinning around.      I uninstalled them both via the Control Panel and reinstalled them but it still does not work.
After the Java applet stops spinning it says 'Error. click for details then says 'ClassNotFoundException' and further links tell me that Java has not been detected on the system.  I have tested it at java.com/en/download/testjava.jsp and the 'coffee cup' applet just keeps on spinning until it comes up with the same result as stated earlier in the paragraph.    Any ideas anyone, please?
11 REPLIES 11
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: BT Speedtester

Did you reboot your pc? as it requires it
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
coastergrotto
Grafter

Yes on both occasions.
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Quick test and it works with Opera but not IE.  Installed Java update manually then it requested another update on opening speedtest with IE then said it wasn't installed
One reason why I do not use a beta browser like IE
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Just wondering if this could be anything to do with 32 and 64 bit versions... I suspect you'd need the matching java runtime for whichever browser version you're using?
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

That is certainly worth checking, thanks for the reminder Matt. That came up a couple of weeks ago, the Java Runtime Environment definitely has to match the Browser not the OS.
coastergrotto
Grafter

Thanks for that.  I'm on a 32 bit Operating System and running IE9 and Firefox 12 on Windows Vista.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I'd uninstall the Java 7 and go back to Java 6 jre-6u32. If you haven't got the full install file of that version on your machine still, you should be able to get it here . Make sure you click in the right place where it says Java 6 Update 32 (16.2 MB) not the large lettered Free Download below  Wink
coastergrotto
Grafter

Thanks for that.  I have uninstalled the previous version of Java and installed the Java 6 version from your link and then re booted the computer and checked that Java is enabled in both IE & Firefox.  I ran the Java test from their website and it says your Java is working.
Now to try out the BT Speedtester.
coastergrotto
Grafter

@Anotherone:
You are a star.   Works perfectly on Firefox and would have worked on IE9 had I not just run the Speedtester on Firefox.    Many thanks for that.   Guess if Java wants to update at any time I'd best refuse it.
Many thanks to you also Matt.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Please don't refuse any 'security updates' but the verion upgrade can be a problem at the moment.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
coastergrotto
Grafter

Fine.  I understand completely.