cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Speedtester won't work!

drunkenmonkey
Grafter

BT Speedtester won't work!

Hey does anyone know if its possible to get round the adsl login step for the BT speedtester or can someone at PN take a look and see if there's wrong details somewhere?
I've had my BT line and PN account since the start of feb and everytime I go to the BT speedtester (speedtester.bt.com) I put in my lines phone number and then my adsl login (glasgowmcm@plusdsl.net)  but I keep getting this message:
"The login name entered on this tool doesnt match that discovered by querying the network for your domain name. Please check your telephone number (or user name) and try again. If problem persists please contact your CP."
Anyone have any ideas?
14 REPLIES 14
geewizz
Grafter

Re: BT Speedtester won't work!

Don't put in that login address. Are you sure it doesn't just need your phone number?
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

It checks your ADSL login details and won't let you use it otherwise.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
geewizz
Grafter

oh right. Sorry. I don't remember ever using an address that looked like that one.
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

I don't think you did in the original one.  Can't remember when it changed though.  It's been a while, and I don't use it often!
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

@geewizz
It depends which vISP you are on.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Denzil
Grafter

There have been lots of threads discussing issues with the BT tester. It has never worked for me. Errors like this are fairly typical -  it is a flaw with the tool, not anything you are doing.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

I have just used the Bt speed tester. and got the same login message, however, after trying various combinations, the one that worked was the username on my email address@plusdsl.net
not  the whole email address...
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Err, that's what you're supposed to use isn't it, i.e. your router logon (RTFM?).
shutter
Community Veteran

As it worked for me, I assume so ! !.... was trying to point the OP in the right direction, in case he had been using the email address..... Wink
HPsauce
Pro

It looked like he used (correctly) his router login.  Wink
shutter
Community Veteran

Then what more can I say ?      ?  ?  Roll_eyes Smiley
HPsauce
Pro

You'll think of something  Grin
drunkenmonkey
Grafter

I think it must be some sort of error on eco or something?  Only thing I can think of anyway! Anyone at PN got any ideas?
artificer
Grafter

i couldn't get that thing to work for me either.  it was point and click when i first used it.  can't think why they changed that format.
i use thinkbroadband.com instead.  the hell with all that faffing about.