Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Speedtester updated

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

BT Speedtester updated

I've just tried it and for me it's been updated - screen grab below - and seems to be giving me more consistent results.
What's everyone else getting?
36 REPLIES 36
Anotherone
Champion

Re: BT Speedtester updated

I think the revised instructions are very poor
Step 1:- Ensure your computer is plugged into the Broadband line to be tested.This speedtester will not work on iPads/Tablets,smartphones or other mobile devices.
Step 2:- Ensure your computer is directly connected to your modem/router via an Ethernet Connection (i.e. not via a wireless or powerline adapters).
Step 3:- Ensure that any wireless adaptor in your computer is switched off.
Step 4:- Close any programs that may be running on your computer.This in cludes any background programs such as anti-virus software (such as Norton McAfee, or NetProtect+) corporate VPN or Peer2Peer client.(Please ensure you re enable any anti-virus software after you have finished testing).
Step 5:-Reboot your modem/router by powering it off,waiting one minute,and then powering it up again.Wait for any lights on the modem router to stabilise before the starting the test.
Step 6:-Restart your browser.
Step 7:-Ensure that no other people or devices(eg. broadband-connecterd TV set-top box) are using the broadband line to be tested.
Step 8:-Ensure the 10 day stabilisation period has completed before reporting any suspected fault-this is how long it can take for your Broadband to train to its optimal speed.
Step 9:-For fibre customers please run the Beta test first (right-hand column below),ensuring you use the correct test for your line speed.
Please confirm that you have carried out the above steps. The speed tester may report an inaccurate result by failure to comply with the above.

IMHO they should read as follows:-
Step 1:- Ensure your Modem/Router is plugged into the Broadband line to be tested.
Step 2:- Ensure your computer is directly connected to your modem/router via an Ethernet Connection (i.e. not via a wireless or powerline adapters).This speedtester will not work on iPads/Tablets,smartphones or other mobile devices.
Step 3:- Ensure that any wireless adaptor in your computer is switched off.
Step 4:- Close any programs that may be running on your computer.This includes any background programs such as anti-virus software (such as Norton McAfee, or NetProtect+) corporate VPN or Peer2Peer client.(Please ensure you re enable any anti-virus software after you have finished testing).
Step 5:- If you find you are having problems, first check that this is not related to any software on your computer and that you have the recommended version of Java Runtime and everything else is up-to-date. Otherwise goto Step 8.
IF you continue to have problems, you could try the following - you should first Disconnect your Internet session by logging into the Router Interface and clicking on the Disconnect Button then Reboot your modem/router by powering it off, waiting one minute, and then powering it up again.Wait for any lights on the modem router to stabilise before the starting the test. (You may need to login to the Router Interface and click Connect if your Internet Session does not restart automatically).
Step 6:- Repeat Step 4 if you have carried out Step 5.
Step 7:- Restart your browser.
Step 8:- Ensure that no other people or devices(eg. broadband-connecterd TV set-top box) are using the broadband line to be tested.
Step 9:- Ensure the 10 day stabilisation period has completed before reporting any suspected fault-this is how long it can take for your Broadband to train to its optimal speed.
Step 10:- For fibre customers please run the Beta test first (right-hand column below),ensuring you use the correct test for your line speed.
Please confirm that you have carried out the above steps. The speed tester may report an inaccurate result by failure to comply with the above.

Edit: Java Runtime is needed to use the BT Speedtester. You should using a version no earlier than jre-u31 as previous versions had security issues.
If you have problems please post the detail. Please state which browser & OS you used and did things behave differently if you tried another browser?
I've updated Step 5, to make it clearer and to check your own software first.
If you are still having problems getting the Diagnostic Tester to run,  please post your Exchange name in the thread.
alex7127
Grafter

Anotherone...what about step 11?

Step 11:- Go boil your head if you don't like the results provided by the Speedtester. We are BT and have enough customers and make more than enough money thanks. If you have any problems don't call us!
Grin  (I think it was funny)
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

It is still  preggers
Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.02 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 2 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 5.07 Mbps

vs TBB
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm sticking with One click speedtest.net
It just works.....

And it also stores your History

Low results are PlusNet Outages, and T-Mobile Dongle backup speedtests

Whenever I've tried the convoluted BT Speedtest, the results have always been similar to speedtest.net

I can just imagine BT's page long set of instructions on how to stir your cup of tea with a teaspoon !
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Speedtest.net  Wink  Best test Around  Cool
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Anotherone
Champion

There are lots of users who need to use the BT speedtester from time to time, mostly when dealing with faults related issues. As we've all seen the BT speedtester giving borked results of late, it would be nice to know whether it's now working properly again.
So can we have some real results please. I could sit here and type sarcastic comments about it all day, but that isn't going to help anyone that has a fault.
PS. Your remark was funny Alex  Wink
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Run tests on as many speed testers as you can find, then bookmark the best for when you're bragging and the worst for when you're raising a speed fault.
As Anotherone suggests the BT one is the only 'official' one who's results are accepted for fault analysis.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Bullet
Grafter

Greetings - "This is the text that I have deleted which contained a few expletives"  Cry
Modified since original post - (BT speedtester does not work) = some text for search engines to find this post.
The BT speed tester has not been working for me for months; it always says it’s busy no matter what the time of day or night. This post prompted me to look into this problem.
For a reason that I'm still trying to understand, the BT speed tester page does not always load correctly.
In the first example the page has not loaded properly and the test will never run - will always come back with system busy
In the second example the page has loaded corrected and the test runs successfully.
The issue appears to be that W7 64bit still needs a 32 bit version of java to work correctly with the 32 version of IE (which is the default)
Reference: http://www.java.com/en/download/faq/java_win64bit.xml
But even after only having the 32 bit version of java installed (verify your version here: http://www.java.com/en/download/testjava.jsp) and verifying that java was working correctly.
The BT speedtester page does not always load correctly for me, even after clearing the IE cache, rebooting and checking everything.
Repeatedly refreshing the IE page will eventually cause it to load correctly - and this probably matches the error received too = HTTP Status 404
For me, the workaround appears to be to use Google Chrome as this has so far loaded the page 100% correctly (download here: https://www.google.com/chrome) when using http://speedtester.bt.com/
Lastly, I see that some of the above is covered within FAQ 9 "I am not able to see the message 'PERFORMANCE TESTER' at the top of my screen." The java test page always worked for me, it was the BT page that did not, personally I would have written the BT tester page such that if java had not started/loaded correctly a suitable warning message was displayed on the next screen, rather than the less than helpful BT version of “The system is currently busy, please try again later….”  Embarrassed
Anotherone
Champion

That's strange I've not had problems myself whatever version of Java Runtime I've had, but that's on 32bit XP machines, using IE8 or Firefox 11.0.
You should use a version of JRE Not earlier than jre6-u31, as previous versions had security issues.
I'll put a note in the 2nd post and hopefully we'll get more feedback on that one.
anniesboy
Rising Star

I noted a problem with different versions of Java earlier this year.
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,102515.48.html
Anotherone
Champion

Thanks for the link, just read that one page, will go and read more in a minute. There are supposedly lots of other issues with Sun Java version 7 something to do with it being based on "openjdk" about which I know nothing.  I've not looked in any depth at it, so I wouldn't make a recommendation on that basis. Hopefully someone who's got some more knowledge on that will update us.
Edit: add info about openjdk
x47c
Grafter

If you run the beta version of  BT speedstester and watch the screen carefully during the run, you see the speeds being recorded on a second by second basis - or I assume that is what they are displaying.
On mine the speeds varied quite considerably from low to a peak in-excess of the IP setting (interesting!)
I suppose the quoted figure must be some sort of median figure of speeds and time in seconds achieved at those speeds over the duration of the test.
The BT quoted figure came out lower than any other speedtester run immediately after came up with and indeed a second BT speedtester run came up with a figure over 1.5Mbps different.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Since the majority of times you want to run the test to check the IP profile my recommendation is to ignore the whole thing.
This is certainly the case where a resync will immediately change it
Anotherone
Champion

Did you not read Strat's post Jim  Roll_eyes
As Anotherone suggests the BT one is the only 'official' one who's results are accepted for fault analysis.