Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Speedtester - is it broken?

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: BT Speedtester - is it broken?

Test at 14:50 on 9th
All working correctly except for the reported connection speeds and a failed upstream test didn't bork the whole test
IP profile correct for the first time since going to 21CN  Grin Grin Grin
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

It's still failing, but in a more controlled way
Note that my router is claimed to be syncing at 0kbps

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

pittdj
Grafter

Worked fully here :-
Download speed achieved during the test was - 6320 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 2000-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :9655 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 1123 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 8000 Kbps
I guess failure to show connection rates might be a consequence of an upstream test failure.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Totally broken for me on 20CN now:
Test Error
Performance Tester is unable to run the speed test for your telephone number:01xxxxxxxxx. Please check that it is the correct telephone number for your service. Did you follow all the instructions given on the website, before initiating the speed test. If not, then please follow all the instructions carefully and try to run the test again.If you believe it is the correct number for your service and you have followed all the instructions then please ask your Service Provider whether you can use Performance Tester to test your Broadband speed. If yes, then ask him for the Service ID of your broadband connection and try again with this Service ID along with your Telephone Number. If this problem persists, raise the issue with your service provider.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

BT speedtester is working..... but is lying !  Roll_eyes
may be it is because it is Sunday 10/10/10  but I doubt it.... cos it usually lies about your speed anyway.... perhaps it is made to do that, so you think......... I`m getting such a lousy speed from PlusNet. (or other ISP`s that use the BT speedtester).... that when you see the BT adverts on the tele.... you think again..... Hmm I`m getting such a lousy speed from Plusnet (or other ISP) I think I transfer my Broadband to BT... looks really fast on the Tele adverts.....
Just to prove a point.... here is my BT speedtest taken at 16:18 today.... (After waiting 8 minutes for the speedtest logo to appear before I could run the tests)
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Results
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download  Speed
                                          883 Kbps

0 Kbps--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 2000 Kbps
...Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 883 Kbps

For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 400-2000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :1600 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 1250 Kbps
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Compare the speed with the following other testers....
****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
speed.io
Downstream 1162    upstream 377  ping 41ms  1579 connections per minute
****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
My Broadband speed (PlusNet  Favourite speedtester after BT)......
Downstream 1164  upstream 370
speedtest.net
Downstream  1.15    upstream  0.28    ping  49ms
*******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
so as I pointed out above.... it appears the BT speedtester is lying in order to make the BT broadband service look like a very good alternative.....

Is anyone at PlusNet towers really going to do anything about the lying BT speedtester. that cannot be trusted by PlusNet customers, neither for it`s accuracy,..... nor it`s reliablilty of operation.....
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Latest test - everything present and correct
shutter
Community Veteran

Have you compared the BT result with the others that I did? ......? .....?
You are lucky with 3.75 megs downstream... so a small deviation of say .75meg drop in speed... would not cause you any concern....
but the same drop would leave me using Dial-up ! !
Cry
Oldjim
Resting Legend

The point of this thread was wrong IP profile and sync speeds and whether the test worked at all not whether the speeds are what you would expect
shutter
Community Veteran

Well, with the results as given by BT against the " competition".... my profile is wrong.... and so is my speed... so the comparison between speed site results compared to BT result is quite a relevant point to be making on this thread...
In today`s technological world.... the speed measured by one speedtester should be within a very small bracket of the BT tester... or vice versa...... there is absolutley no reason why BT speedtester should show 0 downstream and 0 upstream and a speed that is 250 top 350 kb different from all the other speedtesters... ipso facto.... if there is no traffic downstream and no traffic upstream, then the BT speed test result should be showing.... 0 as the speed achieved for "best effort".  Undecided
In a purely mathematical setup.... the BT result would be discounted from the equation.... yet it is supposed to be the "measure" that all ISP`s have to work to....
If BT speedtester is giving wrong profiles because of it`s wrong speed resultss then it isn`t worth doing them.... even from the BT point of view....
as the title of this thread says...
BT Speedtester - is it broken? .......
my comments and observations seem to me to be perfectly relevant.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Why do you think your profile is wrong - it matches your sync speed
grahamt
Rising Star

I just did a BT speed test, using the address starting www.
The results were sensible, but I noticed that one of the scrolling messages that appear while you wait for te test to start indicated that BT know that the speedtester is having 'problems at the interface level' (if I've remembered that correctly).
Graham
shutter
Community Veteran

BUT that does not tie up with the "other results"... and as pointed out.... if the BT speedtester shows ZERO downstream, and ZERO upstream.... then the profile is wrong and the speed should be ZERO ... the whole thing is "unreliable".... yet BT insist on ISP`s using it for fault diagnosis....
Jim.... look at it this way.....How do you know my Profile is correct.....?  if my speed is incorrect?  if the tester is unreliable?  how can you say I have got the correct profile?
BT Speedtester...... IS broken
Oldjim
Resting Legend

So what speed does your router show
This is from your last test which was after the fix was rolled out
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :1600 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 1250 Kbps

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

It says "Currently due to problem at interface level application might not give expected results."
I didn't bother waiting for it to fail.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."