cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Speedtester does it work at all ?

wytco0
Grafter

BT Speedtester does it work at all ?

I have been trying to run this for many days and it always fails. I have seen others reporting problems but I am not clear if there is a known problem that is being fixed or if the tool is borken. In the last couple of weeks I have tried to run it approx 25 times and it has only worked once.
I am being told by Plusnet that I need to run this tool several times in order to reopen a fault tomorrow but it doesnt work. I always get this
"The Performance Tester is currently unable to run a speed test for your broadband connection. Please try again shortly, however if this problem persists, raise the issue with your service provider."
Is there any way of getting this test to run?
jim:green Please note that this post hasn't been edited - a slight case of hitting the wrong button mod:end
6 REPLIES 6
matt_2k34
Grafter

Re: BT Speedtester does it work at all ?

Quote from: wytco0
I am being told by Plusnet that I need to run this tool several times in order to reopen a fault tomorrow but it doesnt work........... however if this problem persists, raise the issue with your service provider."

excuse the ignorance, but have you told PN Support that you cannot physically run the test, as it flags up an error? (telling them the error - as it might point them to a 'simple' reason you're having an issue... e.g. BTs system cocked up Wink )
I am assuming your fault revolves around the connection dropping, and being down for (several hours?) at a time...?
Regards
wytco0
Grafter

Yes I have told them.
My fault relates to instability and very poor upload speeds.
jim:quote
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

I have been trying to run this for many days and it always fails. I have seen others reporting problems but I am not clear if there is a known problem that is being fixed or if the tool is broken. In the last couple of weeks I have tried to run it approx 25 times and it has only worked once.

We are currently investigating a few reported problems, notably:

• Lower than expected and misleading throughput rates being returned

• 0kbps throughput speeds being returned

• Attempts to run the test timing out

• Inability to run the test at all due to the error you've quoted

We've had a case open with Wholesale's helpdesk for a week or two, primarily concentrating on the 0kbps throughput issue. We've been advised that a fix has been rolled out for this particular issue so if anybody notices it's still happening then I'd be interested to know?
I know that there are plans to improve the network capacity side of things too over the coming weeks/months which may well help resolve the other issues people are seeing. Later this month new back-end servers will be introduced to increase performance and in April I'm led to believe there will be further improvements made to the beta test. After that there's more network enhancements scheduled with a view to eventually introduce a single progressive test that combines the functionality of the current diagnostic and beta tests.
I am being told by Plusnet that I need to run this tool several times in order to reopen a fault tomorrow but it doesnt work.

If it doesn't work then you can't be expected to do this. You need to let the faults guys know that it's not working and point them to this thread if necessary.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

I have just run the BT speedtester with no problem..... however, the other one, for a "quick check" on speed ( My broadband speed test). is giving diabolically inaccurate results...
MBB reports my current speed as between 1.5 and 3 Mbps
however a check on speed.io and speedtest.net both give a "reasonable" speed for me at nearer 12 Mbps
BT give a slightly lower figure of 10.91 Mbps
I also noticed that the Plusnet pages seem to be very slow in loading... other sites seem to be "normal".....
I was going to post a new thread about the My Broadband inaccuracy.....but thought it might just fit in with this thread....
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

This morning the BT Performance tester reported D/L speed of 7333Kbps, which is a bit suspicious as that's the same figure it reported a few days ago (coincidence?)
Within a couple of minutes MBS struggled to complete the test and reported 1836kbps, although half an hour later it whizzed through the test and reported 8104kbps!  Tongue
Within another minute of the first MBS test Speedtest.net reported 8.06Mbps - it seems to be by far the most consistent of the 3 but whether it's correct or not I've no idea!  Undecided
(The BT Performance tester appeared to under-report speeds until it was upgraded a few weeks ago when it seemed to match MBS and Speedtest-net, now it seems it's back to under-reporting, at least compared with the other two.)
Confused? You bet!  Cheesy
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

This morning the BT Performance tester opened with an additional banner warning "LATEST: Due to Heavy load application might not give expected results between 2PM to 3PM"  Undecided
The down and up tests ran quickly, but then failed to display the results due to "system busy"!  Roll_eyes
Repeated the test soon afterwards and it then ran and displayed OK, with results probably about right ( :-\) although it continues to report an "upstream rate IP profile" considerably less than the actual upstream speed.

(There seems to be 2 similar threads about the BT Performance tester running at the same time - would they be better merged?)