BT (Retail) to switch from MAX to 21CN - Free of Charge

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

BT (Retail) to switch from MAX to 21CN - Free of Charge

Just noticed this, from June 2009:-
*Warning - yuck alert!
ADSL2+ - BT Consumer
Gavin Patterson, chief executive officer, BT Retail said "Unlike other providers, BT is upgrading customers to 20Mb/s for free. High-speed broadband provides a faster and more reliable service that will transform the way we live, work, learn and play. We are already the UK’s largest retailer of broadband and today’s announcement shows that we offer terrific value for money. We believe the true value of broadband is in helping customers enjoy the exciting new services that it makes possible. In line with the Government’s Digital Britain review, we will be making higher speeds more widely available....
From early summer, new customers or recontracting BT Total Broadband customers in an enabled exchange area will automatically be eligible for up to 20Mb/s broadband service from as little as £7.78 per month. Customers will be able to order or simply find out when they can get up to 20Mb/s and what speed they can expect via BT.com. Existing customers will be asked to sign a new contract.

See http://www.btplc.com/news/articles/showarticle.cfm?articleid={04baed28-4a23-4dbc-9250-1f0a4ace808d}

So I assume Plusnet will be implementing (if they can get it to work) ADSL2+ at the same price as ADSL MAX?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

3 REPLIES 3
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: BT (Retail) to switch from MAX to 21CN - Free of Charge

Quote from: Crucibleofevil
"Unlike other providers.....

Which other providers did he have in mind I wonder?
And how many people can't benefit, so is he just spreading the cost over everyone?
Round my way we have a few LLU providers and only TalkTalk might fall into that category as they charge more (or used to) to go over 8mbps, but as the basic broadband is "free" anyway the net result is still cheaper than BT.  Lips_are_sealed
And Bethere and O2 also provide different speeds at different prices I guess, but again the packages are just not comparable.
Those customers who are too far away to get over 8mbps (or whatever) with ADSL2+ actually seem to like the option of a cheaper, slower package.  Wink
godsell4
Rising Star

ADSL2+ - BT Consumer
From early summer, new customers or recontracting BT Total Broadband customers

Lets focus on this statement shall we. It does not suggest that all folks will get the change automatically.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I think they trying to say 21CN is being offered as a freebie to new / new contract customers.
Even though it actually costs an ISP (like BT) less to provide broadband over 21CN.
I bet they're planning on putting the "up to 8 Mbps" on 21CN - but with a speed-limiter included.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."