cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Offer

valart
Grafter

BT Offer

I had a letter today from BT saying that they could download my speed to 8Mb at the moment it is 4.5 Mb are they telling the truth or trying to get my custom because I used to have my phone line with them.
19 REPLIES 19
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: BT Offer

If your exchange is still not 21stC then they are selling the UPTO 8Mb service, not an 8Mb service.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

BT and Plusnet use exactly the same equipment at the telephone exchange and there is nothing go-faster about a Home Hub so it is not technically possible for BT to give you a faster speed than Plusnet could.  A pro-active ISP could probably improve the download speeds of most of their clients but pro-activity would be prohibitively expensive. 
Anotherone
Champion

It could be that your exchange now has 21CN and you are still on 20CN. If you put your exchange name into http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search and click on the name in the results it should give you the relevant detail, look for "21CN WBC status".
If it's available and you aren't on it, Plusnet can move you to it if you request it here.
Mattz0r
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Hey there valart,
Just had a quick look over your line. I can confirm that you're already on ADSL2+ - Your line estimate is 9Mbps with speeds ranging between 7.5 and 11Mbps.
It may be worth looking through our "slow speeds" guide to try and increase your sync speed.
If you're currently getting 4Mbps, this is below the line estimate. I'd try the router plugged directly into the main socket (test socket preferred) with a replacement microfilter and then log-in to your router to see the sync speed to the exchange.
You can do this by going to http://192.168.1.254 and entering the username as "admin" and the password as the serial number of the router starting with CP - Entered in capital letters.
If the sync speed increases when plugged into the main/test socket - This may point towards an issue with the extension cabling (if you're not already in the main socket).
If you find the sync speed hasn't increased after doing this, I'd suggest raising a speed fault
Hope this helps,
Regards,
Matt
Anotherone
Champion

Some useful information from Matt there valart.  But as you've said in some of your other posts that you are plugged into your master socket if you could answer the following -
Do you have a Master Socket like the one on the left? If so - are you  plugged into the Test Socket?
Also to get the Stats, as shown by Matt, login into your modem/router and under DSL Connection, click View more ..... as shown here and then Details on the top RHS. Just Copy and Paste the information into a post.
valart
Grafter

Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 8:52:42
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,147 / 6,112
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 12.0 / 30.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.5 / 6.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 91 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 12 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 245 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 4,294,967,265 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 4,294,967,265 / 231
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 1 / 149

I hope this is the information is right I am, plugged into the first main socket that comes into my house there is no test socket.
AndyH
Grafter

Something isn't right as you should get a much better sync rate with those noise figures.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: valart
I am, plugged into the first main socket that comes into my house there is no test socket.

How are you extension sockets wired into the main socket?  Is it possible to disconnect them?
Anotherone
Champion

That's the perfect information there valart.
You ought to be able to get around double what you are getting. My guess from your previous posts is this is to do with your internal wiring.
Do you have a digital camera perchance? If so, if you could unscrew the second socket so that you can see the colour of the wires and the terminal numbers they are connected to (be careful not to pull them out).
If you can take a photo so that the wire colours and terminal numbers are clear, otherwise just describe the colours and the terminal numbers they are connected to.
valart
Grafter

Yes they are unable to disconnect them it looks like I am paying for slow broadband
valart
Grafter

In fact I think my iPod touch loads pages faster then my laptop
Anotherone
Champion

That's a trifle defeatist, can you take a photo or describe that wiring?
Edit: To add an attachment to a post, if you didn't use the Reply button, when you've typed the message, click on Preview, then below the box you'll see the + Additional Options and Attachments..., click on the plus then Browse to where you saved the .jpg
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 8:52:42
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,147 / 6,112
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 12.0 / 30.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.5 / 6.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 91 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 12 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 245 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 4,294,967,265 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 4,294,967,265 / 231
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 1 / 149

I hope this is the information is right I am, plugged into the first main socket that comes into my house there is no test socket.

There is something wrong with your line. You had the same line attenuation as mine with 30.5dB. Is your router closer to the master socket and make sure your router cable plugged into BT test socket with a short cable under 1 metre is best. And get a good ADSL filter. And try again. I did brought a short cable 0.5 metre and adslnation faceplate and a very good high performance router did increase my ADSL2+ as following:
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Link Rate 17659 Kbps 1270 Kbps
Line Attenuation 30.5 dB 16.8 dB
Noise Margin 3.1 dB 6.2 dB
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

it looks like I am paying for slow broadband

If you don't plan to do anything about it then you are settling for slow broadband.  No ISP that I know of will intervene free-of-charge if a speed problem is down to your internal wiring (as is most likely the case here).    But the remedy is unlikely to be very difficult and if you can provide details of your wiring then people on the forum will tell you what to do.