cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Number Change

markrach
Grafter

BT Number Change

My partner is thinking of changing the BT number my PN account is on , how would this effect the BB , would there be any charges like reconnection etc .
11 REPLIES 11
Mand
Grafter

Re: BT Number Change

Hi there,
In all honesty it depends how BT action the request.
A straightforward renumber shouldn't affect your BB, however the more common 'stop, renumber, restart' process will initiate what's called a PSTN cease, and will lead to your BB being cut off and a reprovide being required (which takes 7 days, and costs £40 though can be deferred if you've no contracts already).
mal0z
Grafter

What's the proceedure for a plain and simple renumber Mand, becuase someone seems to be getting quite a lot of unwanted calls, and what is the definition of an "unwanted or malicious call" .

As I understand it you can get a renumber becuase of such calls ?.
What is the cost otherwise please ?.
Wheel_nut
Grafter

If the number needs to be changed because of nuisance calls, BT will re-number it for free and the Broadband connection will not be affected. This has been done for one of my referrals and other than alerting PlusNet by Ticket that this was happening, no other actions wre needed.
markrach
Grafter

This is the reason why she wants it changed , 0800 numbers , caller i'ds of 000000 or intranet <--- weird keeps calling right up untill 9pm at night , just selling stufff and asking for previous tennats from years ago. She shall give it ago later today
Thanks for the replies people  Cool
adie:quote
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Have you signed up to the telephone preference service TPS?
That certainly managed to cut the calls we were getting down.
Now if we get a call string them along until they reveal who they are tell them where on TPS they go pretty quickly and we can report them.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
markrach
Grafter

She did yes but they just keep on calling  Embarrassed , its that bad we unplug the phone from around 6pm every night
mal0z
Grafter

One of the worst cases I had once was BT phoning up after I moved my phone service away from them.
They must have phoned about 6 times before I lost my temper and had to write to BT HQ
Pipex did the same - and started using the automatic text facility - so I had to call 0845 to retrieve the message, and thereby incur a charge  Angry
I really think OFcom should make it mandatory for all telephone operators to have a facility whereby all customers can define which numbers are excluded / included. Similar to a black and white list used for email etc.  so we could block all 0845, all 0844 all 0800 and all withheld numbers and other individual numbers etc etc, at NO EXTRA charge.
Then people would have no need to change their numbers
markrach
Grafter

Ok having a long think about it me and the woman have decided to get a new line fitted along with keeping the existing one .
Now a couple of questions .
If i was to open another PN Pro account on the new line can i link these 2 lines to give me double the speed  Roll_eyes
BT have given me a number , although its not live yet is there anyway of getting a rough idea on how long the line will because our nextdoor neighbour has a att of 43  Grin while mine is 52  Undecided
And is ther any discounts on having 2 account  Tongue can i have the account in my other halfs name and claim the referal discount
Cheers
Mark
James
Grafter

Hi Mark,
Unfortunately we don't support DSL Bonding, so you wouldn't be able to "link up" the 2 services.
There's no discount as such for having 2 accounts with us, although you can refer yourself Smiley
You can get a rough idea of the expected speeds, but I couldn't tell you what your attenuation would be like.
markrach
Grafter

Thanks jameseh,
Samknows says 3mb if i just put the postcode in , there is no other way of getting  a more detailed figure i take it .

James
Grafter

Not really I'm afraid.