cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT IP profile, advice please!

nigeandsue

BT IP profile, advice please!

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone else has experienced issues with this particular technology and found a work around for it.
Basically, every so often we experience a high volumes of sync loss and as a result our IP profile lowers and lowers ... and lowers the connection speed to the point of being unusable (no reason or explanation has been found for this under the previous fault tickets I've raised).
Looking at my router logs, it appears the loss of sync is a matter of seconds each time it happens - literally to the point we don't notice it (we're not gamers / heavy streamers) but the tool which is dealing with this automatically drops our connection to the region of 135 kpbs from, down from ~1000 kpbs when we have had a period of stability. This slow speed can last for days and is far worse than the fault its supposed to be righting.
TL;DR
Is it possible to request your ISP to turn IP profiling off?
Thanks,
Nige
12 REPLIES 12
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: BT IP profile, advice please!

Quick Answer - unless you change to a LLU supplier you are stuck with it.
Regarding your problem the IP profile doesn't affect the connection speed.
For a bit of background what are the stats reported by your router - noise margin, attenuation and speeds - and have you tried using the test socket to see if it still happens
nigeandsue

Hi,
Thanks for the fast response  - It's relatively fast and stable at the moment and this is what my router is reporting:

Connection Speed  - Downstream 512 kbps Upstream 448 kbps
Line Attenuation -  Downstream 63 db  Upstream15.5 db
Noise Margin -  Downstream 10 db  Upstream10 db
If its not the IP profiling that's limiting our download speed, do you know whether there is something that artificially throttles connections? It seems strange that when our IP profile is at ~135kbps we are only able to download at maybe 16kb/s and when we're at a profile of 1000kbps we are able to download at up to 100 kb/s, it seems a direct correlation between download speed and IP profile, just from my perspective
*EDIT* Sorry, I forgot to mention we don't have a test socket.
Cheers,
Nige
Oldjim
Resting Legend

The IP profile will limit your download speed (on a speed test) but you should get about 80% of the profile speed
Are you muddling bits and bytes - there are 8 bits to the byte so a speed of 1000kbps is equivalent to 125kBps
nigeandsue

No, I don't think I'm muddling them - I'm just reporting the figures as I see them - with an IP profile of 1000 Kbps - kilobits per second I managed a download test at  ~100 KB/s kilobytes per second - though the test result could of course been subject to contention and therefore lower than the extrapolated figure you have given.
The point I'm making is that the IP profile appears to govern the speed at which I'm downloading and if this is not the case I would like to know what mechanism, if any, controls allowed connection and resultant download speed.
Thanks,
Nige
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Your first posts all the speeds were given in kb per sec but you are now saying the download speeds were kB per sec which is what I suggested.
The IP profile limits to download speed to the value given - 1000kb per sec for example and when you take the overheads off this reduces to about 850 kb per sec or 106 kB per sec
nigeandsue

My first post - I didn't mention downloads at all, I told you my IP profile in kbps, kilobits per second.
My second post - I gave you an example of my download speed in KB/s - common shorthand for kilobytes per second as well as the IP profile in kbps or  kilobits per second as BT references it.
I don't now how to make it any clearer than that, if you can't interpret it, please don't respond as you are not answering my question
My question : does BT's IP profiling control connection speeds? this includes setting upstream and downstream limits as well as the download speed cap inherant from this? And if this is so, is it possible for this to be removed from a request to your ISP?
Thanks,
Nige

Oldjim
Resting Legend

Quote from: nigeandsue
If its not the IP profiling that's limiting our download speed, do you know whether there is something that artificially throttles connections? It seems strange that when our IP profile is at ~135kbps we are only able to download at maybe 16kb/s and when we're at a profile of 1000kbps we are able to download at up to 100 kb/s, it seems a direct correlation between download speed and IP profile, just from my perspective

My second post - I gave you an example of my download speed in KB/s - common shorthand for kilobytes per second as well as the IP profile in kbps or  kilobits per second as BT references it.
Oh yes - well sort your own problems out then
nigeandsue

Oldjim -  I'm trying to get information about how broadband speed is throttled and if it can be bypassed at a customer's request. If you want to argue semantics with me, please send via PM - I don't check them and you'll save me having to re-write my original question on this thread (again).
Anyone else,
Does BT's IP profiling control connection speeds? this includes setting upstream and downstream limits as well as the download speed cap inherant from this? And if this is so, is it possible for this to be removed from a request to your ISP?
Please take in to account in my earlier posts where I say kb/s or KB/s I mean kilobytes per second and i reference kilobits per second as kbps. I'll try remember the case sensitive element in future Smiley
Thanks
Nige

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

The profile does not affect connection speed, that is sorted out between your router and the exchange equipment and is reported in your router's interface.
The profile does have a relatively direct effect on download speed as it throttles throughput to match what it thinks the line can handle based on some kind of 'rolling recent average lowest connection speed'.
The thing that does affect the connection speed is the target SNR which will be between 6 and 15dB and gets increased by the DLM to overcome instability or noise issues - a high target SNR will reduce the connection speed.
If there is a pattern to the loss of sync then you might be able to reduce the problem by ensuring that your router is switched off when this is likely to happen (or simply switch it off when it is not going to be used for a good while (such as overnight) to avoid excessive disconnects) - not a practical solution for everyone.  You may also want to try another router if you can as there may be an intermittent faut with your router causing the problem in the first place.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

… and no, the IP Profile can't be turned off or by-passed.
David
nigeandsue

Thanks for the info.
I don't think it's my router as I've tried three different ones since I've been with PlusNet.
I'll give walker23's suggestion a try, it makes sense not to give more opportunities than is necessary for the loss of syncs to occur in the first place.
Cheers,
Nige
PiLoT
Grafter

Oldjim -  I'm trying to get information about how broadband speed is throttled and if it can be bypassed at a customer's request. If you want to argue semantics with me, please send via PM - I don't check them and you'll save me having to re-write my original question on this thread (again).
Anyone else,

Yeah ill have a go
Your really rude, bitching at someone who was helping you and they didn't have to, he doesn't work for plus net he has no obligation, he was polite. and weather you mistyped or he misread is irrelevant, all he was doing was trying to clarify a point so his answer was the best he could give, He was trying to clarify YOU started the arguing of semantics
you can not demand answers from a group of volunteers.
And i think in the future you should think before you write, then you may avoid spewing the puerile nonsense displayed so far.
As for you problem, Im not helping anyone that rude
PiLoT