cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT IP Profile

mcgerard
Grafter

BT IP Profile

Yes there a quick way to find out what BT say is my line profile without having to run the speedtest?
Yesterday Plusnet and BT were in agreement at 3000kbps. Today (5 minutes ago)  Plusnet say 750kbps and BT say 2500kbps.
Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: BT IP Profile

unfortunately - No  Sad
mcgerard
Grafter

Thanks Oldjim.
mcgerard
Grafter

Now (as of 15 minutes ago) I have Plusnet saying 2500 kbps and BT saying 135 kbps and of course my download speed reflects what BT say at a near unusable 117 kbps. So what is the point of Plusnet providing a figure for "My Current Broadband Speed" which is so disconnected from reality? Angry
WWWombat
Grafter

BT's version of the IP Profile is the source value, though it is held in the BRAs and the DSLAM. It is calculated by BT's DLM process, which responds to the conditions on your line - in particular the sync rate and any errors encountered. BT's DLM is notoriously quick to reduce the IP Profile if problems are seen on the line, and infamously slow to increase it again when problems go away. This can make the IP profile a variable value.
Plusnet's value gets updated at most a couple of times a day, and even then will only happen if BT's equipment is working correctly. This means that PN's value is always going to lag a little, and can occasionally get stuck.
At a time that you have problems (and BT holding a value of 135 kbit is a pretty good indication that you *are* suffering line problems), it probably isn't a surprise to see the kind of behaviour you describe.
You probably need to solve the issues you're having with the line...
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
mcgerard
Grafter

Quote from: WWWombat
At a time that you have problems (and BT holding a value of 135 kbit is a pretty good indication that you *are* suffering line problems), it probably isn't a surprise to see the kind of behaviour you describe.
You probably need to solve the issues you're having with the line...

You are dead right. BT are to visit Tuesday to investigate.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi mcgerard,
Let me know how the visit goes.
Jojo Smiley