cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT IP Profile vs Plusnet Profile

gp
Dabbler

BT IP Profile vs Plusnet Profile

I am at the end of a noisy line which keeps dropping quite a bit.  I can live with that for now and normally get between 3 and 4 Mb/s line sync..

However, once in while, my download speed drops to 0.2 - 0.3 Mb/s.  The BTW speedtest tells me that my IP profile is 3.73 Mb/s and testing against the BT test domain gives me close to that speed.  However, when connected to the Plusnet domain, I only get 0.3 Mb/s.

This happened twice in the past and reconnecting PPPoE did not resolve the issue.  So I had to phone Plusnet to get the Plusnet profile reset to get reasonable speeds back.  The same happened again yesterday, and this morning I phoned Plusnet to get the Plusnet profile reset.

The chap from CS told me that it it could take up to five days for the profile on the Plusnet system to return to normal, apparently because BTW was not sending updates to Plusnet any sooner.  He suggested that an engineer should come to look at my line.  While there is no doubt that the line is not particularly stable, I cannot see how this would fix the fundamental issue that there is such a delay in pushing the correct profile from BTW to Plusnet.

This seems to be a generic issue which probably affects not just me, having to either wait up to five days whenever this happens or phoning up Plusnet (30 minutes on the phone on average) is not really a solution.

1 REPLY 1
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: BT IP Profile vs Plusnet Profile

Hi there,

Sorry to hear your speed keeps dropping.

It sounds about right that it can take up to 5 days to receive speed updates via suppliers delta report. Whilst I've seen updates come through within 24 hours, on occasion it can take a few days unfortunately.

I'd highly recommend going for an engineer visit, because your connection doesn't look good at all...

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet