Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Homehub 5

kamalaggi
Dabbler

BT Homehub 5

Hi,
I've just bought the BT Homehub 5 to replace my bt openreach modem and my netgear router.  I have a 20 metre Ethernet cable going from my bt openreach modem to my netgear router. Can I simply just use the RJ45 cable to connect to the internet. The VDSL faceplate will accept the RJ45 cable but how will I plug it in to my Home hub 5.
My RJ45 cable is a 20 metre CAT5e Moulded cable so cutting it and fitting a RJ11 on one end will be impossible.

I can't relocate my Homehub 5 to near master socket because it will be connected to my USB printer in my bedroom and there is no room near master socket to relocate printer.
thanks
5 REPLIES 5
picbits
Rising Star

Re: BT Homehub 5

You can use an RJ45 to RJ45 (CAT5e) coupler on the end and the RJ11 should plug straight into it ignoring the outer contacts.
Only a couple of ££ from Amazon / Ebay
*Edit - that's assuming the cable is a straight through one and duplicates the connection on the faceplate.
kamalaggi
Dabbler

Quote from: picbits
You can use an RJ45 to RJ45 (CAT5e) coupler on the end and the RJ11 should plug straight into it ignoring the outer contacts.
Only a couple of ££ from Amazon / Ebay
*Edit - that's assuming the cable is a straight through one and duplicates the connection on the faceplate.

WOW!! Thanks for the advice. I bought a RJ45 to RJ11 cat5e cable and my sync speed has increased by 18meg. Was syncing at 52 meg before with the standard rj11 cable and now i'm syncing at 70meg with the cat5e RJ45 to RJ11 cable Grin
ScottJames
Grafter

kamalaggi, do you think that the Home Hub 5 had anything to do with the better sync speed?
picbits
Rising Star

Hopefully it's a permanent speed increase. Mine can vary between 65 and 72Mb sync speed depending on which way the wind is blowing when I reboot the modem  Grin
kamalaggi
Dabbler

Quote from: ScottJames
kamalaggi, do you think that the Home Hub 5 had anything to do with the better sync speed?

I just tested it with a standard RJ11 cable and was syncing at 56mb which a 4mb increase compared to the openreach modem. I've switched back to the RJ45 to RJ11 cat5e cable and happily syncing at 70mb.
So I think it's a combination of both.