Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Home Hub 5

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Re: BT Home Hub 5

Got my BT Home Hub 5 as I cannot find setting for ADSL Mode eg: ADSL/ADSL2/ADSL2+/VDSL and it was automatically connected to plusnet itself. Rather disappointed as cannot see any Noise Margin or Line Attenuation, or CRC errors on the setting.
Before on Netgear DGND3700v2:
Sync: 18539K / 1279K
SNR: 3.0 / 7.5
Line Attenuation: 30.5 / 16.9
BT IP: 16.36 Mb
PN IP: 16.3 Mb
Now on BT Home Hub 5:
Sync: 17322K / 1155K
SNR: Unknown
Line Attenuation: Unknown
BT IP: 15.28 Mb
PN IP: 16.3 Mb (at the moment will reduced to 15.2 soon)
So, overall BT Home Hub 5 is pretty ok but a let down of 1 Meg loss and no information of full line stats! But, it should be ok for FTTC as I expecting this FTTC will be full sync rate (if not revert back to Netgear DGND3700v2 via BT Openreach Modem)
Wifi on 2.4GHz is still strong overall, but it connected speed at 150.0Mbps (I suppose this is ok for FTTC to get 80Mbps in wifi) Haven't try 5.0GHz yet as my device isn't support this at present.
1. Product name: BT Home Hub
2. Serial number: **************************
3. Firmware version: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.173.1.4 (Type A) Last updated Unknown
4. Board version: BT Hub 5A
5. ADSL uptime: 0 days, 01:01:09
6. Bandwidth: 1155 / 17322
kelvin
Grafter

My wireless seems to have settled down to 20Mbps both up and down. Quite an improvement on the 12 I was getting on the technicolor. I will test iPlayer a little later
@Perdrix
Was your Hub a new one or second hand? If you look through this thread there is a post to a link with simple instructions to follow They are for Home Hub 3 I think but it worked for my Home Hub 5). You just need to put in your Plusnet user name (name@plusdsl.net) and password in the two lines in the settings tab where the BT details are (overwriting them)
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

I changed back to my Netgear Router for now. Because BT Home Hub 5 is terrible with high ping reported 34ms. Netgear router is 15ms ping.
Now on Netgear DGND3700v2:
Sync: 18311K / 1279K
SNR: 3.0 / 6.7
Line Attenuation: 30.5 / 16.8
BT IP: 16.16 Mb
PN IP: 16.1 Mb
Perdrix
Grafter

Kevin,
I bought it off gumtree for £25, but it had clearly never been used.  I may have had finger trouble before as I tried again a bit ago and it accepted my xxx@plusdsl.net username this time.  So it may be that it knows that plusnet is part of BT!  It most certainly wouldn't accept my xxx@extreme5.pipex.net (was Pipex, then Opal, now TalkTalk) username at all.
I'll know if it all works on Plusnet on 3rd February as that is when the Openreach engineer is coming to transfer my telephone line from the POTS/ADSL connection in the cabinet to the VDSL2 DSLAM and the service is transferred away from TalkTalk (hurrah)!
Now if only someone knows how to fully unlock this baby ...
Thanks
Dave
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

BT Home Hub 5 is impossible to unlock but BT Openreach Modem HG612 can be unlocked (I think I will use this one along with my Netgear router) and will selling BT Home Hub 5 as I don't like it at all. Very boring GUI lay out. And even worse that BT Home Hub 5 had high ping, and impossible to use thinkbroadband broadband quality monitor respond to ICMP pings
goatty2
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

I have had HH5 running for 14 days. had no problems connecting to fibre and speed is no different than plusnet router.
before connecting it I left internet off for about 45 minutes
2 days after installing HH5 the firmware updated to
BT Home Hub 5 (Type A) | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.173.1.6 | Last updated 10/01/14
also bought the bt dongle for my laptop so i could use ac great around here as no one else on the 5 ghz.
the only annoying thing so far is not being able to change the dns on it
jimbof
Grafter

Quote from: goldenadsl
And even worse that BT Home Hub 5 had high ping, and impossible to use thinkbroadband broadband quality monitor respond to ICMP pings

Am intreagued by this, as I get pings down at the 10ms mark on my Fibre line, which is no worse than my previous homebuilt router + openreach modem.
Are you sure you always get high pings with it?  I find quite often I will randomly get connected to a gateway endpoint which gives me noticeably worse pings than the others. 
Like this ping graph below (look at 3-4ms jump on the second disconnection):
kelvin
Grafter

It took me a little while to find where the firmware details were held (troubleshooting/helpdesk if anyone else is looking) and mine is Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.173.1.4 (Type A) Last updated 23/01/14. I quite like the GUI having spent the last 10 minutes looking all over the place for my software version.
Good to see you got yours working Dave
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

Can anyone please explain why is my new BT Home Hub 5 won't showed line stats eg: noise margin, line attenuation, CRC errors etc. How to updated to latest firmware version? I cannot find check updates (on the setting)
On thinkbroadband forum MrSaffron say there is no respond to ICMP ping support on BT Home Hub 3, 4 and 5. See here: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/guides/routers.html
Jimbof how did you managed to get broadband qualty monitor work on the home hub 5? What setting did u use?
jimbof
Grafter

Am a bit of a router geek - need to get out more...! Smiley  I have a little TP-LINK travel router thing (TL-MR3020) which I've flashed with OpenWrt and locked down just to respond to pings, and then on the home hub have set up the DMZ to be the TP-LINK router.  So any traffic that the firewall would normally drop / reject gets redirected to the TP-LINK box instead.  The TP-LINK box is something I had lying around from some meddling I was doing, and is quite neat as it can be USB powered by the home hub 5 quite easily.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

jimbof....I start to worry as I went to helpdesk and check line stats: It only show sync rate down and up but no information showed of line attenuation, noise margin, crc errors on my ADSL2+. Do u think when I get FTTC connected, it will show up full line stats information will it?
jimbof
Grafter

This is the info I get from Helpdesk on my VDSL line:
5. VDSL uptime:	0 days, 03:23:25
6. Data rate: 20000 / 79995
7. Maximum data rate: 30093 / 96660
8. Noise margin: 12.6 / 10.3
9. Line attenuation: 0.0 / 9.5
10. Signal attenuation: 0.0 / 9.5

I guess it is possible they only populate it on VDSL.  I know HH4 doesn't have any line stats either of significance for ADSL, but HH3 does have some.  You can get the stats from immediately after a connection on HH4 by looking in the Event Log (filter for WAN).  I wonder if that also works for HH5 in ADSL mode?
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

My VDSL FTTC will be ready to order from service provider say openreach NGA as it say on my email:
On 23 January 2014 16:08, <richard****************@openreach.co.uk> wrote:
Hi *************,

The very good news is your cabinet completed all engineering activities yesterday and has now gone forward to be commissioned ready for service.
It normally takes 10 days to be ready to place orders.

So you should be able to place an order for Fast Broadband by mid-February with your service provider.
All the post code checker sites should be updated as the cabinet progresses through to RFS.

Regards

Richard **************************
Openreach NGA
So, does BT Home Hub 5 automatically change from ADSL2+ to VDSL itself on it own when BT Engineer activated FTTC at the cabinet?
Melancholie
Grafter

Weird how this email NGA Enquiries is from an email client while each and every email 'from' Liv Garfield appears to be copy/pasted from webmail, probably GMail.
It also directly contradicts what she allegedly wrote to you a couple of days ago when she, the CEO of the infrastructure division of an FTSE 100 company, personally closed your support case.
The grammar and spelling are way better than the modern and medieval languages graduate from Cambridge could manage too.
Curiouser and Curiouser in the words of Alice.
jimbof
Grafter

Quote from: goldenadsl
My VDSL FTTC will be ready to order from service provider say openreach NGA as it say on my email:
So, does BT Home Hub 5 automatically change from ADSL2+ to VDSL itself on it own when BT Engineer activated FTTC at the cabinet?

The HH5 auto-detects the WAN connection type, so if you are with Plusnet at the moment the most you would have to do is reboot the router I believe (as username / password shouldn't change).
However, Plusnet don't do self-install (yet) I believe so Openreach or a contractor will still want to come out and install a modem for you, and they need to get into the cabinet too to hook your line up to the FTTC equipment, after having disconnected it first from the ADSL at the exchange.