cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Home Hub 5 stopped working after outage.

kelvin
Grafter

BT Home Hub 5 stopped working after outage.

My broadband went down in the storms last Friday morning and the engineer came today to fix. He simply moved my line to another port in the green box and said it should be working. After waiting nearly 30 minutes the router/modem was still showing an orange light but the line was showing OK on his tester. He replaced my Home Hub 5 with his "spare" but it would still not connect. As a last resort I pulled out my old BT modem and PlusNet router, connected up and everything works fine.
The engineer does not understand why and I certainly don't.  I don't want to buy another HOme Hu if it is not going to connect. Any body any ideas whet the issue could be?
I have also lost 20% of my download speed (from 50 down to 40) and more than 50% of my upload speed (from 18 down to 6). I hope these speeds pick up
6 REPLIES 6
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: BT Home Hub 5 stopped working after outage.

I'm not sure why the HH5 won't connect to be honest, I can only comment on the OR Modem and equipment we have supplied, which I'm glad works! I'd probably give the line a little time in stabilisation before attempting to reconnect the HH5.
From what I can see, your line wasn't able to gain sync in port #923 so the engineer completed a Lift & Shift which moved you into Port #916 which allowed you to gain sync. Our Faults Team will be re-testing your line with regards to speed, so we'll review this. It's really important that we give the line as much stability as we can to give it the best chance to remover.
kelvin
Grafter

Thanks Chris. It would be good if I could get back to around 60 download and 18 upload as I had before the problem.
I will leave everything as it is for the moment as we are still unpacking and catching up after being away for the weekend. I will try with my HH5 tomorrow, try it on another line and try another working HH4 on my line. I did have broadband on the HH5 but no internet. I wonder if it lost details of the account. I can try that later as well
kelvin
Grafter

I should add that I was pleased with how my problem was dealt with. The help line was answered after about 10 minutes. The guy who answered could see I lost connection at 2:30 that morning and said he would ring back with more details a little later which he did to confirm an engineer's visit the following day (Saturday morning) . I had to postpone until this afternoon (1-6) as we were going away and the engineer arrived at 12:45.  Am I allowed to say thanks to Kevin on the help desk  who dealt with the problem?
It is so much better dealing with UK based help desks than those based in India. A good reason to stick with PlusNet
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

I'll pass your thanks onto Kevin for you - I'm glad you've found that it was dealt with effectively.
kelvin
Grafter

Looks like I was too positive about the BT engineer. I have just gone to use my phone and it is not working. I know he fiddled with the wires in my loft as he was rather negative at the the number of connections I had and the quality of the joins. I cannot now ring out and the telephone does not ring when rung from another phone.
Do I need to raise another ticket?
I will have to ring using my mobile although I will get charged by my provider
kgk86
Grafter

If you are calling support from a mobile, use 0345 140 0200
Should be deducted as part of your inclusive minutes  Wink