cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Home Hotspot connection and password

csj

BT Home Hotspot connection and password

I have a PlusNet router in my flat which works well in providing a wired internet connection to my desktop PC and in providing WiFi for my tablet and mobile phone in the same room as the router.  However, when i move out of the room, the WiFi signal drops off quickly and I lose internet activity.
I have thus bought the following:
1. A pair of BT Broadband Extender Flex 500 Kit Passthrough Powerline Adapters
and
2. a BT BROADBAND WI-FI HOME HOTSPOT 500 ADD-ON
I am able to connect the two Broadband Extender Flex 500 Kit Passthrough Powerline Adapters and to use them as wired connectors to provide internet activity on my Hudl tablet in the rooms away from the router. This shows that the connection is being made through the electric wires in my flat.
However, when I replace one of these adapters with the BT BROADBAND WI-FI HOME HOTSPOT 500 ADD-ON to try to receive WiFi in the rooms away from the router, my phone or tablet recognises the Hotspot add-on but when I input the password, or when I use the WPS button on my router, it seems to accept it initially but then immediately disconnects.
What WiFi password and/or settings should I be using to get internet through the Home Hotspot - e.g. the password on my existing Plusnet router or the one on the card that comes with the Bt Home Hotspot?
Or can anybody suggest why I am unable to get an improvement in my WiFi signal using these Extenders and Home Hotspot. It seems that nearly everybody who has bought these on Amazon and have written a review have no problem and suggest that there is virtually nothing that needs to be done to get them to provide improved WiFi.
There was also an earlier post here from WTF in June 2014 indicating that these worked well for that person. I must therefore be doing something wrong but I would appreciate some suggestions as to what I should be doing.
2 REPLIES 2
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Re: BT Home Hotspot connection and password

What WiFi password and/or settings should I be using to get internet through the Home Hotspot - e.g. the password on my existing Plusnet router or the one on the card that comes with the Bt Home Hotspot?
You need to connect to the wireless network called 'BTHomeSpot-XXX' and the password is the one on the card that came with the Bt Home Hotspot. You might alos find that the wireless from your existing router may interfere with the Hotspot. You may be able to reduce any interference by changing the wireless channel on the router.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

csj

Re: BT Home Hotspot connection and password

Thanks.
I was trying to use the password that was on my Plusnet router.
Hopefully it will now behave itself.