cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT HUB 5

micro

BT HUB 5

Hello and please be gentle as new to the forum, I am looking into upgrading my router and would like to purchace the bt hub5 from fleebay but need to know if this will work on plusnet? I'm on adsl and hoping it's a simple case of just putting broadband username and password into the router etc. Many thanks for any responces  Undecided
33 REPLIES 33
Kevin
Rising Star

Re: BT HUB 5

As a quick search of the forum will show, yes the Hub 5 works on Plusnet. I'm using one now. It was just a case of putting user name and password in.
Kevin.
SWebster
Grafter

This contradicts what I was told by an Openreach engineer.  I had my fibre installed and I did not have a router, to I asked the engineer if he had any on the van and he produced a BT HomeHub 5, which he plugged in and it would not work.  He connected it and then it connected for seconds to the signal and kept dropping the signal and would not work and apparently there was something going on with the router that was not allowing Plusnet to work.
Some people say it does work but like me it did not work for me, so you are taking a risk on purchasing this and then finding out that it will not work with a Plusnet connection.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

But did he put in the Plusnet username and password - if he didn't  it wouldn't work
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

Quote from: SWebster
This contradicts what I was told by an Openreach engineer.  I had my fibre installed and I did not have a router, to I asked the engineer if he had any on the van and he produced a BT HomeHub 5, which he plugged in and it would not work.  He connected it and then it connected for seconds to the signal and kept dropping the signal and would not work and apparently there was something going on with the router that was not allowing Plusnet to work.
Some people say it does work but like me it did not work for me, so you are taking a risk on purchasing this and then finding out that it will not work with a Plusnet connection.

it was either faulty router or he didn't configure it correctly to work with plusnet.
SWebster
Grafter

Well, he did not configure it because he did not have access to my computer and my Plusnet username and password, so there was nothing he could do.  He connected it and as the broadband light on it was not saying stable, he disconnected it and told me that it was not working and that something on it was preventing it from being used with the Plusnet connection.
If I had know that all I needed to do was configure it, I would have asked him to leave it, but since then I have the Openreach modem and Technicolor router that seems to be working okay.
All4One
Grafter

I'm on Fibre and my PN router doesn't stay stable on Broadband/DSL, but DSL on modem is fine. Might be similar effect with HH5
kankali
Grafter

I've been using a HH5 for 9 months now on Plusnet fibre.
Sometimes they become unstable after the software update but a factory reset seems to fix it.
Mine has been up for 18 days and counting
Regards, David
kelvin
Grafter

I have also been using a HH5 on fibre  without problems for well over a year (although I am on my second one as the first stopped working when a bad storm broke my system and I was without internet for a couple of weeks). I bought the second a couple of months ago for just under £40 incl P&P from Ebay.
Wireless is so much better than with the Plusnet supplied router
barbieg43
Grafter

Butting in on this thread, I don't have fibre and no chance of it either and wondering if the B T Home hub 5 or 4 would be ok for me to buy. I tried a T P Link router but had to send it back as the wifi was not good. I only have basic broadband.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Any Home Hub from (at least) 3 upwards will work on a Plusnet line AFAIK. I've personally used a 3, 4 and 5 on connections I look after in the past.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

barbieg43
Grafter

Sorry, I'm probably thick but was does AFAIK mean please?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

As far as I know.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

barbieg43
Grafter

I forgot that! I thought it was probably a technical term. I'm also a newby.
andy265
Grafter

I've got a HH5 Type A. It was fine when I was on ADSL with Plusnet, but when I upgraded to FTTC using the built in VDSL modem it keeps rebooting every 10 mins. With the Openreach modem connected to the ethernet WAN port it's fine.