Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Engineer visit

maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: BT Engineer visit

Latest report
Raised a fault with the fault checker, including a history of everything that has gone on including swapping filters, removing the bell wire, changing routers, connecting to the master and test sockets, and finally having a BT Engineer swapping my filtered faceplate and the line from the local cabinet to the exchange.
CSC response was that they can find no fault, after monitoring for 1 day and 16 hours. Within an hour of their response yesterday, Two resyncs dropped the sync rate from 1376kbps to 800kbps.
Another resync today at 11:10 has reduced it still further to 160kbps! This latest coincided with a received phone call. Not so much of an 'always on' connection that broadband is supposed to be, if I wasn't spending so much effort in trying to resolve the problem I would be better off switching off the router and trusting to pot luck in terms of whether I will get a connection and at what speed when I switch back on to use it.
I clearly have a fault which is intermittent, I have done everything as suggested on the fault checker, but CSC seem to have taken no notice of what has happened in the past and only want to get the question ticket closed as quickly as possible. Yet it takes more than 24 hours to get any response from CSC to comments that I post on the ticket, and more often than not get an incomplete answer to the query. It was clear enough from previous monitoring that in all likelihood I had a line problem that warranted an engineer call-out, and apart from a period of 4 whole days without a resync (a record for me) nothing seems to have changed. The engineer did not spend the recommended 2 hours testing the line or even checking any of the physical connections between my master socket and the local cabinet. The ticket was closed in response to the BT report before I had done enough monitoring to confirm the problem was fixed, which meant I had to go through the whole rigmarole again.
Rather than vent my anger with a few choice swear words, which won't get past the filter anyway, please will somebody help me to fix my problem so that I can spend more time using my connection for more meaningful purposes other than simply monitoring its dreadful performance and raising fault questions.

My other car isn't a Ferrari
James
Grafter

Hiya,
I've passed your fault to BT again.  Clearly the connection is dropping and we'll get back to you once we've heard back from BT.
TJJ
Grafter

I so wish I hadn't read this. Sounds very similar to my issues.
Slow [very] speed, dropped connections, multiple re-sync's [13 in last 18 hours], seemimgly affected by voice line................ and my hopes of getting it sorted tomorrow were high as the BT engineer is coming for a second look - now dashed. Sad
Let me know how you get on and I'll report back if the engineer has any luck.
TJJ
maranello
Pro

James,
Thanks, your intervention is greatly appreciated, and I will await (patiently) for a response from CSC to arrange another engineer appointment.

TJJ,
I think the chances of getting the engineer to sort out your problems may be improved if you get one who does a thorough job. Earlier in this thread is a posting from Phil Richardson of Plusnet which details what you should expect. There is also some advice about providing tea and biscuits. Here's hoping that our persistence pays off and we both get some improvement.
maranello
Pro

Quote from: maranello
and I will await (patiently) for a response from CSC

Ok, so I'm not very patient!
This weekend I have done little more than check sync rates. On Friday I managed to improve from 160kbps to 384kbps d/s by manually rebooting. Have rebooted each day since, managing only 576kbps tops. I was expecting at these sync rates the noise margin would be high enough that a reboot would give faster speed on resync, but this was not the case.
Had to make a phone call this morning, there was a noticable steady hiss on the line and a resync occured once I ended the call.
There appears to have been some action to my fault raised with the CSC (ID: 26287557), but I don't really understand what appears to be taking place. If anyone at Plusnet has the time to look at the ticket and explain what it all means in simple to understand terms then that would be much appreciated. Would anything I do or have done (such as rebooting the router or unplugging extension phones) make any of the testing invalid?
James
Grafter

Hi Maranello,
That action was basically to "release" your ticket from hold so that we could look into it again.
BT have requested appointment times.
maranello
Pro

Hi James,
Thanks for such a quick response and a reply to both this posting and the fault ticket.
Can you please expand on some of the information contained in the Question? For instance, under a section 'Prognosis', it states that circuit was in sync throughout the specified time period from 5th to 18th September, but from my own records I know that this was not continuous. What is meant by 'The circuit is dropping sync slightly.'
I notice that your response on the fault ticket includes the usual standard words about changing filters, using the master/test sockets, unplugging telephones etc., all of which were done prior to the last Engineer visit. In addition, since then I have tried a different (new) router. The filtered faceplate I have was fitted by the engineer last time, and if I understand correctly is a direct connection to the test socket so I should not need to unscrew this. I am reluctant to do this in case I inadvertently do anything that could be seen as my fault. Also I need to maintain a phone connection during the day so can only unplug the phone overnight.
Will the engineer be made aware of the previous history? If so, should I expect a more thorough test than previously, such as checking/re-making connections between my master socket and the local cabinet?
James
Grafter

Hi Maranello,
Sorry, I used a stock response when I sent the ticket back to you, so don't worry about redoing everything if you have already done the checks.
The Engineer should be provided with a fault prognosis, so he'll be in the best position to help you out.
I'm afraid that there's not really anything I could say about why BT would see you in sync for a number of days where you actually hadn't been.
maranello
Pro

Quote from: Jameseh
I'm afraid that there's not really anything I could say about why BT would see you in sync for a number of days where you actually hadn't been.

Testing the wrong line perhaps? About as likely as my electricity provider trying to bill me for electricity used at my neighbours house? I hope not, but that's another story!
Would your RADIUS logs for the same period tell a different story?
James
Grafter

They would indicate drops in connection.
Although your drops are showing as "user request" which wouldn't necessarily imply a drop in synchronisation.
maranello
Pro

I didn't realise there was a difference between ' drops in connection'  and 'drops in synchronisation'
Anyway, I'll give CSC a call and arrange the appointment.
Thanks for your help and advice.
maranello
Pro

Further update
A second appointment was arranged for the 25th Sept.
The BT Engineer duly arrived, and stayed about 20 minutes at the most! I was expecting him to comprehensively check the line between my master socket and the local cabinet. All he did was connect up his laptop and looked for any errors occuring during a ten minute connection period. From this he concluded that there was not a fault currently evident, and that this meant he did not have any clue what else he could do. At which point he decided to pack up his laptop. I should have guessed that he never intended to stay very long when he turned down my offer of tea/coffee.
In summary, a waste of both his and my time.
He did also check for noise on the voice line, which was less apparent than had been a week ago when I reported the fault. His only suggestion was that I continue to monitor the fault and note if there were any possible external influences such as high winds or heavy rain corresponding with periods of more frequent loss of sync events. All I could tell him was that there had been fewer loss of sync events in the last 4 days (none in fact having subsequently checked my router logs) corresponding to a period of dry weather.
A few things I noticed.
His laptop and router synched at ~1500kbps with an 18db noise margin, and reported a line attenuation of 58.5db and line length of 4 km. My router has consistently reported 63db attenuation. When he plugged my router back it synched at 1312kbps. Any reason why such a large difference in line attenuation would be reported? The engineer also suggested that I was pretty close to the limit in terms of a viable broadband line. I find this hard to believe given that I do live within the confines of a town (albeit near the edge), he seemed to be suggesting that I should expect a poor connection. In other words, stop complaining and put up with it, and a poor excuse for BT's inability to provide an adequate infrastructure.
The only good news I can report is that my connection hasn't dropped in 24 hours, and my profile is back up to 1000kbps. Yippee-doo! The bad news is that it seems the only way I will get this issue resolved is if there is a sustained period of heavy rain and wind which deteriorates either the overhead or underground line connections to the extent that the intermittent nature of my fault becomes permanent.
I've now reached the frustrating position that I don't know whether to just keep monitoring the connection as suggested and wait for it to worsen, or whether I should get Plusnet to challenge BT to do more thorough and extensive checks on my line Undecided
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

It is rather odd but the router/modem can affect the attenuation.
I am in the middle of a fault investigation and as part of that Plusnet have run some checks which include reporting the attenuation (called loop loss) and with my Speedtouch 585 it is 51dB but with my old Netgear DG814 it is 53.5dB
maranello
Pro

Interesting observation Jim.
Plusnet tests reported on my fault ticket give loop loss of 63dB, consistent with both my Voyager 210 and D-Link 2640. A loan router reported 63.5dB. For the first visit the BT Engineer's equipment reported 61.5dB. Both Engineers used Voyager 100 (or possibly 105) USB-connected routers. A wild guess but maybe the USB routers being powered by the laptop may be less accurate perhaps.