Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Engineer Appointment - DSL problem

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: BT Engineer Appointment - DSL problem

Quote from: Jameseh
........................................, I would expect any charges to be raised.

TYPO?
Edit: To note correction made and now reads "wouldn't"
davdawnbro
Dabbler

I had similar problems to this see below post:
CLICK HERE
Anyway, as of lastnight I'm back online it seems, tried a third router and it connected straight away which just doesn’t make any sense (a BT 2110 voyager).
Unless BT messing about doing tests etc changed something??? either that or my Broadband just doesn’t like DLink routers.
Whatever, it’s working now and I'm leaving it as it is!
James
Grafter

Fixed 😕
ed89
Grafter

Dav, it sounds as if you had the same problems I am currently experiencing.
If anything, the post you link to makes me want to try another router. But where/when does it stop? I have already tried two d-link routers supplied by PN and a Thomson Speedtouch 585 router (maybe not the best, but all I could get my hands on). Where does my testing stop and Plus Net's responsibility start? I do not want to find I have to pay £140 to BT after being given two brand new out-of-the-box routers from PN that don't work!
Really am at a loose end here. Fast approaching the next billing period and over the last month I have been online for about 2/3 hours max.
davdawnbro
Dabbler

Quote from: Jameseh
Fixed 😕

^^^^^^^
What do you mean?
James
Grafter

My typo in the earlier post that was pointed out.
davdawnbro
Dabbler

Quote from: ed89
Dav, it sounds as if you had the same problems I am currently experiencing.
If anything, the post you link to makes me want to try another router. But where/when does it stop? I have already tried two d-link routers supplied by PN and a Thomson Speedtouch 585 router (maybe not the best, but all I could get my hands on). Where does my testing stop and Plus Net's responsibility start? I do not want to find I have to pay £140 to BT after being given two brand new out-of-the-box routers from PN that don't work!
Really am at a loose end here. Fast approaching the next billing period and over the last month I have been online for about 2/3 hours max.

There must be something up cos we both can't be idiots :-\!  I was all set to get the BT engineer out too but luckily I managed to get my hands on a third router and thought I may as well give it a go.  
Just telephoned the wife and its still working fine plus last night she was on the PC and I was online gaming via the PS3 so it was certainly taking a hammering and no drop outs or disconnects at all when using the BT2110 router.
Weird.  Care to shed any light anyone?
CharlieZ

Ah, the luxury of a working broadband. You lucky, lucky person.
ed89
Grafter

Can I also just add that I am confused as to why PN sent me the exact same router as you previously sent me for testing.
Surely to try eliminate the fault a different type/model of router should be sent?
In the products and services page of the member centre it says a BT Voyager 2091 was dispatched to me on 23/06/2008, however I received the same d-link model I was given when ordering with PN.
davdawnbro
Dabbler

Seems daft to me  :o, let us know how you get on.
James
Grafter

Ultimately we know that the DLink Routers work.  So it's not a case of sending you out faulty hardware.
We know the routers work, so it's perfectly reasonable to send out a new one.
Fwiw, it'll show as being a Voyager 2091, because that's the specific hardware component I selected, knowing a Dlink router would be sent out (as we no longer have BT kit in stock as the line has now been discontinued).
ed89
Grafter

Thanks for your reply.
Going by the problem Dav has described as having, and what I am almost exactly currently experiencing, what do you advise I do next? Get BT to take a look, try a fourth router?
What is the reason I can only connect for 10-15 mins at a time, yet one evening I had no problems for about 3 or 4 hours straight?

James
Grafter

Definitely suggest that the best port of call is for an engineer to be sent out to investigate your line conditions.
There's a possibility that on that one evening, the level of noise on the line was lower, hence a lack of intereference, hence no drop outs.
ed89
Grafter

Ok, I shall update my ticket.
Many thanks for your help.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I presume you've tried listening to your line with a corded phone from the test socket, both with the router not plugged in and also plugged in. Dial a digit to get rid of the dial tone, listen to a quiet line - no intermittent crackling; or hash when the router's plugged in?
The other thought is very local electrical equipment, fluorescent lights, tv's etc. even neighbours stuff, is it any better when they're not in or gone to bed?