cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Engineer Appointment - DSL problem

ed89
Grafter

BT Engineer Appointment - DSL problem

I'll keep this as short as I can. I've been having a problem getting connected since ordering with PN. Day 2 after order being all complete, I was connected for about 3 hours with no problems until it just cut out. After that the DSL, Internet and Status lights on the router fail to light up. I checked everything, and on different sockets, but no fix. I had a private telephone engineer friend take a look. He disconnected the whole house and connected the router direct to the outside line. Still, the DSL, Internet and Status lights wouldn't come on. He said it was a problem with the line coming into the house, which is BT's responsibility to maintain, and if a BT engineer was to come out to fix it, I wouldn't be charged a ridiculous fee. I am just wondering before I arrange an appointment, why I was able to connect for a few hours a fortnight ago, but haven't been able to since. Could this suggest my friend is wrong and that perhaps it is a router problem? It's a brand new out of the box d-link router supplied by PN.
84 REPLIES 84
James
Grafter

Re: BT Engineer Appointment - DSL problem

Hi Ed,
If you have tested the internal wiring, filters and router and they're all fine and BT are called out to fix your fault, you would not be charged.  You would be charged if any of the above were faulty, but BTs responsibility is from your master socket to the telephone exchange, which they would be obliged to fix free of charge.
paulby
Grafter

Could this suggest my friend is wrong and that perhaps it is a router problem?

You'd need to try with another known working router to see if that was the case (it's part of the process you have to go through anyway in order to rule out your hardware).
PlusNet will lend you one as part of the fault resolution process if you can't borrow one from a friend or neighbour.
This guide may be useful as it explains the fault resolution process in some detail.
ed89
Grafter

Thanks for your replies.
I removed the face plate of the master socket last night, and plugged the router into the hidden socket behind the face plate. The internet and DSL lights come up. I can get connected, but it disconnects after a while. Restarting the router seems to sort it. But I have to do this every so often. Last night it cut out after about 15 minutes, on two occasions.
Apologies for these basic questions, just at the moment I can't afford the ridiculous charge BT might cost me. Even if I had the money, I would be reluctant to give them it!
paulby
Grafter

See if you can get another router to try (either from a friend/neighbour/relative or from PN) .  If it still drops it's definitely a BT problem and you won't be charged.
ed89
Grafter

This is beginning to drag out a bit now.... Embarrassed
I received a notice from PN saying BT have fixed a fault and I should try now. I have tried again, but still I can only get connected for about 10 mins then it drops out. The only way I can get the connection back is by rebooting the router, but again after a few minutes the 'internet' light on my router goes off and the connection is lost.
I have requested some hardware from PN to carry out a test to be sure it's not a hardware problem.
I am very reluctant to give another penny to BT but I require my connection asap and 3 weeks without one is starting to annoy me!
Thanks
CharlieZ

Hi Ed,
I am having exactly the same problem. I even bought a new router without success. Everyone keeps passing the buck but I am the one having to put up with the problem. Have you noticed patterns of when it drops out more? I have found it to be ok in the mornings but struggle with it in the evenings and Friday nights and weekends forget it!
We have  now moved on to some sort of time-out somewhere but it's not the router.
I will keep you posted.
ed89
Grafter

Charlie,
I borrowed a router from my parents, but I still get the exact same problems I was having before with the DSL light coming on and the internet light coming on for about 5 mins every X hours. I've not noticed any patterns. I'll check tomorrow morning to see if it works fine then, as normally I check around 5:30/6 when I get home from work.
I don't think the problem is my router either. But I am in two minds here:
Do I continue to get great speed broadband for about 15 minutes a week, or do I get BT to take a look at the line and risk losing £140 I can't afford?
I am being told it could it be this that or the next thing which has totally confused me as to what to do next.
Undecided
James
Grafter

@ CharlieZ
Can you possibly PM me with a contact number to get hold of you on?  I've tried your home number but presumably you're at work.
Looking at your ticket, I think you've been given the run around from your last BT Engineer.
James
Grafter

@ Ed
From what I can see, we've sent out a router to you which should be with you in the next couple of days.  Because we need to eliminate hardware failure (which could prevent you from receiving a hefty BT charge), could you possibly test using this router and let us know how you get on?
If you still encounter the same problems, we'll then be able to get a BT Engineer booked for you.
ed89
Grafter

No problem James, thanks.
CharlieZ

Hi Ed,
I had that dilemma too but after trying 3 computers, 2 routers, 3 filters, changing all my cabling, going through the master socket and still having the problem, I decided to go for the engineer. When he came and asked what the problem was and I explained that the dsl light was on but the internet kept dropping, he tutted, muttering something about the jobs he had to do, connected his computer to the socket, said the adsl was fine and left. I am no better off but I haven't, as yet, received the bill.
I, too am considering just accepting that my home broadband is crap and that anything important will have to be done at work. Undecided
Keep me posted on how you get on.
Cheers!
James
Grafter

@ CharlieZ
Did you see my message earlier in this page?
Can you possibly PM me with a contact number to get hold of you on?  I've tried your home number but presumably you're at work.
Looking at your ticket, I think you've been given the run around from your last BT Engineer.
ed89
Grafter

Hi,
thanks for sending the router, but I am experiencing the same problem. So I have now tested it with 3 routers, on different sockets, with other telecom devices detached, using different microfilters. I have also had a private telephone engineer connect it directly to the line coming into the house.
Still though, the DSL light doesn't coming on, or if it does it's not for long, or flashes on and off.
This might sound silly question, and it may not be valid these days, but I remember ordering broadband about 3 years ago for my old place. We didn't have broadband before, so when placing an order we put our phone number into the ISP's website, which said they would have to activate our line to be capable of broadband.
I don't recall anything like this when signing up with PN, and there has never been broadband in the house I am now in. The previous tennant was using dial up.
I am also worried about the fact that sometimes I can connect for a max of 10/15 minutes but then cutting out. Why am I able to do this?
I really do not want to pay BT a fee!
thanks
James
Grafter

Hi there,
It shouldn't be anything like that.  You supply us with your post code and telephone number and we ask BT to activate your service at that address.
You wouldn't be charged by BT to do any work as a result of an engineers visit if all of your hardware and internal wiring is up to scratch, so given what you've told us so far, I wouldn't expect any charges to be raised.