cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT DLM Testing - Volunteers Please

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: BT DLM Testing - Volunteers Please

Having volunteered I'm now considering whether this is a wise idea!
The DLM has kindly set me a target SNR of 3db as well so I'm getting better than expected uploads and downloads, don't want to mess it up either Smiley
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
ctech500
Grafter

Indeed I fully agree with you had this been offered a couple of months ago I would jumped at the chance as it stands DLM has been at it most stable since going on to (21CN)
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Provided I hack my router with DMT a bit, I can get decent speeds - but this requires me aiming for about a 3dB noise margin.
21CN is now giving better sync rates but worse data transfer rates.
Still, anything that lets you guess what DLM is doing is a good thing. Smiley
So, sign me up. Cheesy

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

MikeyM
Grafter

I may well be interested in this as I have a SNR which has been set at 12db , I believe due to a faulty router when the service went live.
When I was with SKY I had a 5db SNR and got far better speeds than I get at present and the line was rock solid.
ajbrown1965
Grafter

Still willing to be in on the trial, but thought I'd best update as my IP profile is now running quite happily at 4500 (touch wood) although it has been as high as 5500 but didn't stick. Looking at other people's noise margins I'm a bit surprised that my down and up margins are so different. My down SNR fluctuates between about 1.5  (when the connection drops out for a while) and about 6, which seems the usual figure. However, I don't recall ever seeing my Up SNR margin below 20, it's usually about 22. Is such a big difference between the up and down figures unusual?
BTW my account name is ajbrown1946, although I appear on the foum posts as ajbrown1965.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

OK after a reset this morning I'm back at 6 after working quite happily at 3 for 3.5 days.
So I'd like in.
3db / Interleaving on / non-banded
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Shaun2000
Grafter

I'll give it a go as long as there's an easy and not to slow way to correct an over optimistic change.
If you do make an automated system which is adjustable by us nutters(users) on the web it would be a good idea to have a confirmation
period in which we have to respond to an e-mail or the settings are reset to their previous values. Save having to make a phone call when we break our connection and can't get back on the web.
6db up and down,
interleaving off,
no banding.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

I'll give it a go.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
MikeyM
Grafter

After having my line reset and going along happily at 6db and 3800 sync for a few days with no dc, I have now been forced up to 12db and lost about 900 on the sync.
So if I could be sent at 6db downstream, all other settings can be whatever, makes no difference to me that would be great.
Thanks
Michael.
Colin1
Grafter

Hi,
Just realised that my previous expression of interest didn't include a desired SNR etc ... Ideally 6 or 9 dB download please ... the rest as appropriate for that SNR. I don't upload much, my SNR seems to fluctuate so I guess I'm currently not on a banded profile, intereaving is currently on.
Regards, Colin
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I think this is the full list of everyone so far. A couple of people didn't say what profile they want so I've assumed the default profile of interleave off and both SNRs set to 6dB.
Could everyone have a check through please and let me know if I've made any mistakes or if you want to change it.
I will submit the list of users to BT this week, we then have a call with BT next week to discuss the specifics of the testing and how it will work. I'll post back then with details of how we plan to go ahead.
With the staff and test lines we've now just about filled all the available slots, I'll add a few to the reserve list if anyone replies. BT will be evaluating the list to determine the most appropriate lines for the trial as they are limiting it 100 across all ISPs.
Note: submitting your details to BT this week does not mean we have to actually make any changes should you change your mind about taking part afterwards.
Username Interleave Down SNR UP SNR Banded Profile
32110 on 6 6 off
Asbo Dog on 9 6 off
Taxisofevil! on 3 6 off
Barry Zubel off 6 6 off
chrisyoung off 6 6 off
Mav off 6 6 off
deltec off 9 6 off
JohnJ on 6 6 off
dannykos off 6 6 off
Paul03 on 3 3 off
scubarew off 6 6 off
grahamt on 4864-9728
penfold on 12 9 off
Blackcurrant off 6 6 off
bluewhale off 6 6 off
spock on 6 6 off
carrot63 on 3328-6656
Toenex on 9 6 off
stallan off 6 6 off
R off 12 12 off
Bojangles off 6 6 off
whisky off 9 6 off
Mad Moggies off 3 6 off
ajbrown1965 on 6 6 off
Bigtime on 6 6 off
mvdb on 6 12 off
adiewoo on 3 6 off
jamesd on 9 6 off
Colin1 on 6 6 off
OrbitOne on 12 12 off
robr on 9 6 off
MikeyM on 6 6 off
Shaun2000 off 6 6 off
walker23 off 6 6 off
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
Toenex
Grafter

Good stuff dave.  Could I make a slight change to mine;
Interleaving 0n / 6dB / 6dB / Banding Off
Cheers,
Toenex
grahamt
Rising Star

Dave - You have put down exactly what I asked for, but now I'm wondering whether to change my mind. The reason is that I believe my line has been 'debanded' since Saturday. On Saturday it started syncing at 7180, with SNR=9 (which dropped down to about 2 during the night). That was fine, but this morning there was a resync and the line is currently syncing at 7928, with a starting SNR=6. At the moment (6pm) the SNR has dropped to between 1 and 3, and it usually doesn't hit bottom until later in the evening, so I'm expecting trouble.
If my line were put in the 4864-8728 band, which is what I asked for, I suspect the DLM might start trying to sync at a higher rate than the line can stand, and then overreact (we'll see if it does this tomorrow morning).
So, on the one hand it might be interesting to experiment with what happens inside the 4864-9728 band. On the other I think I'll probably have a better and more stable line if I can have it set to SNR down=9 and SNR up=6 (interleaving on, banding off).
If it's going to be easy to change, I'm willing to experiment, which is in the spirit of the trial. So, assuming this is the case, I'll stick with what I originally asked for. If it isn't, or if BT says it's not sensible to choose to be in a band where the top rate is higher than the line can achieve, then I'd like to go with plan B.
Sorry if that's a more complicated answer than you wanted!
Graham
stallan
Grafter

Dave, I edited my post to state Interleaving ON.  So my summary is    ON  /  6 / 6 / OFF
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Toenex and stallan, thanks, I've updated my sheet.
grahamt - that's pretty much some of exactly what we want to try out, as part of the trial we'll be able to change the profile on a line up to once a day so we can put you on say 6dB for a few days then 9dB then a couple of the banded profiles and see how the line reacts to each one. If it's bad we can just back it out the following day (I intend to avoid making changes on a Friday).
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology