Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Broadband Accelerator (iPlate)

PembsPanther
Grafter

BT Broadband Accelerator (iPlate)

Just stumbled across this on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/AAA-Products-048280-Broadband-Accelerator/dp/B003NN8C6A/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&q...
Anyone used one of these? Any comments before I buy one?
Thanks
Chris
6 REPLIES 6
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: BT Broadband Accelerator (iPlate)

Hi, sorry, was going to reply to this last night but because of the issues with one of the gateways (pcl-ag03) which I was on and didn't especially want to hop at the time, I couldn't get to your amazon link to check it out.
Note - there is a better deal on that page from PC Supplies Limited - on the RHS - £5.85 free delivery
The i-Plate can only be fitted to a compatible NTE5A master socket - the one with the removable lower front plate like the one on the left of these Master Sockets
A lot of filtered or non-standard front plates will not fit on top of the i-Plate - the vDSL plate might, but I haven't tried it.
The i-Plate is good is you have external interference and extension wiring with a bell-wire as it can cut-down or eliminate some of this.
You can get rid of the bell-wire problems simply by removing it. What is not mentioned about the i-Plate very often, is that is has a built in common-mode filter which helps eliminate certain types of interference (note this is not a replacement for the standard DSL filter that you need for your phones & modem/router it's additional and before any other filtering).
I mentioned the vDSL plate. There are 3 types the Mk1 - no markings other than the grey Openreach logo, the Mk2 which say Mk2 on the top right, and the Mk3 which says Mk3 on the top right. The Mk1 has no common-mode filter, the Mk2 has but it's not that good apparently, the Mk3 has an improved Common-mode filter. I haven't compared the Mk3 to an i-Plate so I don't know if one is better than the other from that respect.
I hope you find the information useful.
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

You beat me to it AO  Cheesy
Anotherone
Champion

Ah, a bit more I should have added to complete the picture -
The vDSL plate is BT Openreach's modern version of the "Service Specific Face Plate" (SSFP) as they have been called for a very long time.
(Sometimes SS "Filtered" Plate)
Here is a Mk3 picture and anotherThis is the Mk2
It replaces the one shown on the right here.
PembsPanther
Grafter

Thanks Anotherone as usual you are a star Smiley I will do a bit more research for the right one and give it a whirl, my posh new router arrived today:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111254425707?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
I have not even opened it yet, been one of those days today I am gong to sit down tonight and do some reading, I need to get the Thomson into bridge mode which seems like a challenge but am hoping this new router will address some other issues, anyway no doubt there will be another thread from me very soon............
Thanks again Smiley
Steevo
Grafter

I didn't realise a Mk3 existed. Are they quite newly released?
Anotherone
Champion

There was talk about it at the beginning of the year. I think it was rumoured to be "in the wild" sometime late sping/early summer. But it's definitely out there now.