cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Basic with Plusnet unlimited broadband

marianuk
Grafter

BT Basic with Plusnet unlimited broadband

Looking to change my BT phone package to the BT Basic option and was wondering if I would still be able to use my PLusnet unlimited broadband with this line/setup.
7 REPLIES 7
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: BT Basic with Plusnet unlimited broadband

I seem to remember it causing problems
I don't know if you can but I seem to remember that changing from BT Basic to a normal one triggered a line cease and reprovide. If this is the case in reverse then you would get hit with a broadband cease and reprovide charge
The situation I am thinking about was where a BT phone customer on BT Basic wanted to migrate the phone to Plusnet and for that reason they had to revert to a normal one with BT first
marianuk
Grafter

I would be moving from a standard BT line to basic. I already have Plusnet unlimited broadband running off the Bt standard line.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

That is why you need to be careful
First whether Plusnet will provide broadband on a BT basic line - it appears from the link below that they will
Second does moving to BT basic create a cease and reprovide of the phone system as it may not be as simple as just changing products.
If it does that then a line cease will automatically trigger a broadband cease and you will be hit with any cancellation charges plus a line cease charge.
Then you will need to start the broadband again
This was where I saw it http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,122527.0.html/
marianuk
Grafter

Do you know who I could ask?
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

Quote from: marianuk
Looking to change my BT phone package to the BT Basic option and was wondering if I would still be able to use my PLusnet unlimited broadband with this line/setup.

No, you go only use their basic broadband with BT Basic (at the bottom of the page)
Quote from: http
BT Basic Broadband is only available with BT Basic, see BT Basic overview for criteria

Regards
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Oldjim
Resting Legend

See the link I added to my post - you can have Plusnet broadband with BT Basic
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Remember that BT Retail are cowboys.  Unlike other providers, they appear incapable of simply changing the accounting details or service package on a phone line WITHOUT doing a TOTAL CEASE and re-provide. This is no issue to THEM but is really does cause problems for other providers on the line - for example broadband ISPs.  If it were not against the rules, one might think it deliberate anti-competitive actions.
Back in March PlusNet managed to change the subscriber details and broadband package on my business line to the new owner without a break in service or disconnection / reconnection charges.
BT Retail is not that agile - any change is a line stop with dire (and sometimes costly) consequences.  I once had the billing details changed on the phone account - same service - no break in service - however their actions caused the PlusNet broadband service to be cut off WITHOUT REFERENCE to PlusNet.
If for no other reason that was grounds enough to move away from BT.  So be warned, if you make this move, get assurances from BT Retail that a package change will not result in a CEASE ORDER on the line with the consequences of disconnecting services provided by other providers - that is PlusNet's broadband.  Also get BT Retail to commit to covering the costs arising from their actions should they actually cease the line and cause you to be billed for cessation and reconnection charges from PlusNet.
BT Retail - never to be trusted.
@Mike,
From what I read, there is nothing in the guide to say that you have to have broadband from BT Retail, which is a condition I would have anticipated.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.