cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT - Absolutely useless

sherbrooke-pn
Dabbler

BT - Absolutely useless

First, sorry, this isn't really a Plusnet issue but my broadband has been disconnected and I just wanted to share my story as to the total incompetence of BT.....
A month ago, out-of-the-blue, I received a letter from BT saying the line would be disconnected on 17-Sept as "we understand you no longer live at the address". I contacted BT immediately to inform them that 1) I had not moved, 2) did not inform them I was moving and 3) that they should cancel the disconnection. I was told the mistake was probably due to someone "moving into the area and giving the wrong address" and that the disconnection would be cancelled.
20/09,  to my total surprise, I received an e-mail from Plusnet saying my Broadband was due to be disconnected on 01/10/07! I raised a ticket to find that if the disconnection goes through, Plusnet will charge me £40 for a re-provision!
I immediately contacted BT and found out that they didn't cancel the disconnection and it had gone through but they would sort it out.
24/09 - Received a Bill from BT addressed to a totally different person at my address and an Order confirmation letter addressed to me - both have the same phone number (although not my original number) but different account numbers - my line now rings under this new number.

25/09 - Still not sorted, phoned BT again and was told it would "hopefully be sorted by the end of the day"
27/09 - Still not sorted, phone again, got a call back saying it would be done on Monday (01/10)
01/10 - Oh dear, Broadband is now disconnected  Cry
02/10 - Line still not active under my old number, called BT again, "Oh I can see the re-number order in the queue, it will hopfully be done by 12"
03/10 - Didn't know if she meant 12 midday or midnight, but either way today my line still isn't back to its old number and now I'm waiting for a call-back from the "Solutions" (or was it "resolutions") department.
So here I am, 4 weeks after contacting them to stop the disconnection, 2 weeks without a phone (although it works I've not used it as I don't know who will get billed) and 3 days without broadband and even when/if BT ever sort it out I'll then have to get Plusnet to order a re-provision (another 7 days) and have to pay £40 for BTs mistakes.
Not a happy bunny!!!
Cary.

6 REPLIES 6
James
Grafter

Re: BT - Absolutely useless

Hi there,
Sounds like a right mess and you have my sympathy for the amount that you've been messed around.
Phone BT.
Shout.
Shout some more and demand issue escalation.  BT should take on the charge that we and you will incur.  You may even be able to get Wholesale to place the order manually on our behalf without any charges being made.
It's beyond a joke.
paulby
Grafter

I can fully sympathise!
I'm still trying to get a resolution to my problems with BT some three months after they switched my phone service back to them from another provider without so much as a by-your-leave (and they insist that I'm in a 12 month contract).
It's the two hour waits (not an exaggeration) on the phone for someone to answer followed by "You've got the wrong department" and another wait that really annoy me.  Nobody seems to want to take ownership of the problem.
Three letters to their complaints department have also gone unanswered - not even an acknowledgement that they've been received!
Anyway, enough of my problem,  good luck getting yours sorted!
itlity
Grafter

I think we are a number of people who have suffered from BT mistakes but mistakes happen, sometimes we're even the actual responsible!
You are right in not using the new number, this would show you are not "honest" and could be interpreted as a tacit acceptance of the new contract with BT.
If I may suggest something, you should write them a registered letter showing different sections:
  -the history i.e. just the facts
  -the different impacts on your finance including the
  -and conclude that:
      *you never acted to stop your BT contract ref. xxx
      *you have advised BT in due time about this mistake
      *BT never acted to stop the disconnection though pretending to do so and warned by you several times
      *all the costs born from/subsequent to this abusive disconnection shall be supported by BT
  -and last but not least tell them what you want, nothing excessive
If you don't do that you will only depend on BT goodwill to fix their own part of the mistake without covering the consequences.
Don't give up David has won against Goliath!
itlity
Grafter

My apology, I think the previous post is very patronizing, it wasn't the intention. Sorry.
godsell4
Rising Star

To the OP. To escalate this properly, ask BT the following what is the address for sending a letter to to start the formal complaints process and speak to som... droid person answering the phone.
The LoD is the final letter you need from BT so Ofcom will take notice.
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
kmilburn
Grafter

A few of these companies don't seem to know there arse from their elbow...   
I've been helping a friend out because of difficulties with Talk Talk.  After a month or so of things not working properly, she got a bill from them,  addressed to her, but with a completely different phone number from the one she'd been given (and using).
Apparently the other person (whos phone number was on the bill) had received a letter a "sorry you're leaving" letter from BT ,  they contacted BT and BT would do nothing to stop the line being switched. After the switch,  they never received a bill for their calls.
One thing I will say, Consumer Direct (http://consumerdirect.gov.uk) do provide some useful advice.
cp:red Please don't try to avoid the swear filter mod:end