cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BRAS Profile not updating when sync speed improved

petejigsaw
Grafter

BRAS Profile not updating when sync speed improved

I have finally managed to get my synch speed up to 8128kbps on a rock steady connection after getting interleaving turned off.
However, despite continually synching at 8128kbps, my BRAS profile seems to not want to increase to what I would expect, instead remaining stuck at 6500kbps.
The new synch speed has been active since the early hours of Monday, so the 'up to 3 days' period that would normally see the BRAS profile adapt has elapsed.
Should I report this as a support question for investigation?
15 REPLIES 15
James
Grafter

Re: BRAS Profile not updating when sync speed improved

Hi there,
According to BT, at 09/10/2007 00:30:21, there was a resync event of 7392Kbps.
If you hold onto 8128Kbps for the next three days, then your profile should increase.
petejigsaw
Grafter

Thanks James, but the graph of my sync speed covering that period as recorded by Router Stats shows no sign of a re-sync at the lower speed!
Not sure how to post the image, but if you'd like it as evidence I'll happily add it.  Smiley
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Whether your monitoring showed a drop or not does not really help in this situation. Its the BT system that determines the IP profile and if it thinks it recorded a resync at a lower rate it would reset the 3 -> 5 day clock and there is nothing anyone can do to change that now.
All you can do is hope it does not happen again (whether it actually did or not) within the next 5 days.
petejigsaw
Grafter

OK, so I understand the 3-5 day BRAS profile reset criteria, but since my last post, I have monitored my sync speed with the the exchange at 10 second intervals, and have seen NO DROPS below 8128kbps.
However, my profile has not shifted from 7000kbps, meaning I assume that BT still think there are intermitent resync events at slower speeds than the 8128kbps I see all the time on my monitoring software!
Any ideas what I can do, as I'm starting to get frustrated..........I've heard of stuck BRAS profiles, but really do want to know why my profile hasn't lifted, as if there is something happening at the same time each day, I will try and do something to get to the bottom of it!
Thanks
petejigsaw
Grafter

Thanks for that PJ, but I had my profile showing as 8000kbps on the Plusnet 'Connection Settings' - 'High Speed Broadband' section of my member panel at my previous address in August with the same 8128kbps synch speed.
Have I missed something - have Plusnet changed the way they display the data on the Member Centre??????
Something somewhere is not consistent.......the BR Speedtest reports a profile of 7150kbps for my connection, which tallies with what you say.
kevgti
Grafter

I'm provisioned on BT, synced at 8128kbps and the portal shows 8000kbps for me.
Your High-speed Broadband Service
Your current broadband speed is 8000 Kbps
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Then the Bras profile either has not been sent by BT or PN have somehow not processed it.
PN do set the high speed broadband figure to 8000 sometimes when they move you to ADSL Max expecting it to be reset to the correct figure after the trial period. However there have been a number of people (non-LLU) saying something similar so it looks like PN have not been processing Bras profiles on some connections.
This will have applied to petejigsaw originally as well and as PJ has indicated, this is not the correct setting for a Max connection and as also stated it is never above 7000. There will also be no difference between a 7000 and 8000 setting as the protocol overheads account for the different when syncing at 8128Kbs.
petejigsaw
Grafter

Thanks Peter for the info.
I can confirm however that when I moved in August, I moved within the same town and am still on the same exchange, which does not have any LLU services, so the network infrastructure powering my connection remains unchanged.
My real issue is that despite what you say about 7150kbps being the throughput profile on my connection, speedtests from ThinkBroadband (I have used this consistently since before ADSL Max arrived, and logged all results) increased at my previous address to get well over 6200kbps downstream speeds even at peak times, yet now, with nothing having changed (sync speeds and, if you're right, throughput profile the same) I can not achieve above 5800kbps at off-peak times!
That to me indicates that there is something throttling my connection, or that the exhange is starting to get congested, though none of the stats for it (Tavistock) point towards this, and even if it was, off-peak speeds should have remained constant.
Spider
Grafter

Is your new address further from the exchange, because this could be having an influence on your speeds. The other factor is how your telephone line is connected into the system. It seems sometimes BT Engineers bodge a connection at a street box to get an extra line in on the system. I am not sure how this type of bodging effects the ADSL connection though as my own experience was before ADSL was enabled.
pcoventry76
Grafter

geo location of a house does not matter the line could be 8 miles long but the house 300 yards away
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

That's true
I work a kilometre away from the main Sheffield exchange but a test clocks 3.5 kilometre hence my 1.3Mb connection
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
pcoventry76
Grafter

I was lucky when i had LLU as i got a new line and it was linked in around 0.5km so i got full speed
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I was seriously considering a switch to cable but now it appears we are relocating next door to the Magna Centre so we will see what ADSL is like there.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
amcclean
Rising Star

Just remember a top speed sync is not for life, nor even for Christmas.
I used to sync at 8128 and since about march i've not managed above 5500.
All it takes, I guess, is for openreach or someone to be working on your neighbours line and move one of the connections on yours. It's pants for me as there is no way to get it sorted.
Sorry to be cynical but enjoy the speed while you can. I had mine for 6months to a year before it died.
A