cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBYW slower than PAYG?

retep
Grafter

BBYW slower than PAYG?

I downgraded to BBYW from PAYG fairly soon after it came in and would like to note what happened on BBYW for me so far. Of course I am one user on one exchange so this may not happen if you do the same but you may be interested ...
Exchange 'ssbed' is green on
http://users.plus.net/exchanges/
Actually mostly happy with plusnet and I do appreciate the saving in price from £14.99 at 2Gb to £11.49 at 3Gb usage on BBYW.
Mostly been on 1/2Mb  since BBYW, previously 1.5Mb but now with some time at 1Mb and even 1.5MB periods but ...
I improved my internnal wiring too but still lower speeds at non peak times.
8 REPLIES 8
James
Grafter

Re: BBYW slower than PAYG?

Hi there,
You should not be seeing slower speeds on HTTP traffic on BBYW products as HTTP is in Gold as it is in PAYG.  You will however see slower speeds on BBYW as per PAYG (hence the added cost).
retep
Grafter

Here are the line stats now -
Ds Rate (Kbps)  1696
Us Rate (Kbps)  448
DS Margin (dB)  9
US Margin (dB)  18
DS Line Attenuation (dB)  58
US Line Attenuation (dB)  31
DS Rate does occasionally dip as low as 988Kbps which explains the stable rate of 500K I get - but the vast majority of times when I check its 1600Kbps or higher for days on end.
It just seems to take ages to get back to 1Mb, 1.5Mb even rarely 2Mb, maybe stays at that for a day then 500K again.
Is the standard advice still to switch off the modem briefly once a day for three days to encourage MaxDSL to reset the stable rate?
James
Grafter

Yes, pretty much.  I'd also try changing your filter, ensuring that you're connected to your master socket and that all sockets are filtered.
johnmglen
Grafter

Yes indeedy, I too noticed a drastic drop in performance - I won't bore james with it all again, but this was after going from PAYG to BBYW.  BT and Speedtest.Net all confirmed this.  Eventually, the speeds improved but I maintain that it is not as snappy when just browsing the internet etc. 
No resolution was ever found and I gave up trying in the end.  I may be wrong, but I think PN may have missed something because this definitely happened in my case.  That's not to say the Customer service was poor, because it wasn't - PN were very helpful in fact.
puddy
Grafter

This is a very sore point with me too
why should those of us who pay monthly which goes towards paying F9 way every month after month which enables F9 to function i.e borrowing wages rent  etc get worse service than those who connect via payg now and again get a better service

I feel monthly paying customers are being stab in the back. We make F9 work
puddy
James
Grafter

Hi Guys,
We are absolutely not (trying) to stab you in the back.  If there's a problem here then it will be investigated and I'm currently collating examples and asking Dave to look into these at the weekend when he's next in the office.
I'm not ignoring this one bit.
cjags
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

PAYG does what it says, you pay for each GB used above your allowance (2GB).  Monthly accounts pay a fixed fee per month but there is no usage allowance so they can surf, download, P2P as much as they like (subject to FUP).  PAYG also has a monthly payment on top of paying for each GB used.
retep
Grafter

Thanks for all those replies.
By improving my internal wiring and replacing microfilters I have managed to get back to a more stable 1Mb service for a few days now.
From looking at the BBYW/PAYG charts posted I don't think thats the change to BBYW caused my problem I think the problem is more a local one which I hope will clear with time but if not I can live with 1Mb supply.