Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBYW option 3, shaping wrong, also whats my options

tangey
Grafter

BBYW option 3, shaping wrong, also whats my options

Hi There,
I'll preface this by saying my account is BroadBand Your Way option 3, with the bolt-on or whatever its called to double the upstream bandwidth.
My account name is mccomp.
I don't often use bit-torrent, but tonight I had cause to do so, and I started the torrent running around 11:30pm.  It stubbornly refused to go beyond 50KB download speed, however as soon as it hit midnight, the pipe opened up and I got pretty much full download speed.
Looking at the shaping for my product:-
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/archive/bbyw/speed.shtml#Option2speeds
I don't see why P2P should be limited way down to 50KB, for BBYW Option 3, I should get 320KB from 10pm to midnight.
Is it possible my account is on the wrong shaping, can someone look at that please ?
Also, recently my exchange went to 21CN, I had some blip from PN when the change happened as I lost my double upstream bandwidth, but a quick call to PN sorted it out.
What Are my options in terms of new products.  I'm not going to get much extra speed, as I'm a couple of miles from the exchange and my figures are:-
Downstream 7616  att=44.0  SNR4.4
upstream 608 att=23  SNR=12.0
(I'm using the DMTTool to lower my target SNR to give me a downstream boost.)
So what are my options.  I need little or no shaping, and I need the option to double the upstream.  I feel plusnet pro might be for me, but I don't see if I can modify it to increase the upstream, and I'll need to add £5 extra to get up to 25GB download.  BTW is the monthly capacity BOTH the downstream AND the upstream, or only the downstream ?
7 REPLIES 7
itsme
Grafter

Re: BBYW option 3, shaping wrong, also whats my options

Quote from: tangey

I don't see why P2P should be limited way down to 50KB, for BBYW Option 3, I should get 320KB from 10pm to midnight.

You have to careful with your b and B (b=bits B=bytes) PN limit P2P at 320kbps and most P2P applications quote the download speed in bytes so 320Kbps = 40KBps
matt_2k34
Grafter

BTW is the monthly capacity BOTH the downstream AND the upstream, or only the downstream ?

usage is both ways IIRC (this is how View my broadband usage tool works on the members centre)
Your options?
If you seldom use torrent software, then your package is probably still suiting you?
Plusnet Traffic Shaping Data, And Comparisons
This will show you what you should expect from the different packages.
With those stats, i personally would consider moving to one of the new residential products - up to 20 meg, your line is certainly 'not bad' (but im sure, some people would disagree with me on that)
It completely depends on what you expect from your broadband.
and as itsme highlighted, you have confused kbps and KB/s Smiley
(keep this in mind if comparing different products)
pierre_pierre
Grafter

or if you use http://www.kitz.co.uk/isp/plusnet_shaping.htm you can do a side by side comparison of the different packages.
Also note that some downloads and P2P, the speed quoted are the max and these downloads take back seat at busy times
tangey
Grafter

Quote from: itsme
Quote from: tangey

You have to careful with your b and B (b=bits B=bytes) PN limit P2P at 320kbps and most P2P applications quote the download speed in bytes so 320Kbps = 40KBps

Wow, I should have seen that, but the WOW is because on "Value", there are entries in the shaping table for 50Kb, thats like 6KB a sec !
matt_2k34
Grafter

@pierre - please read the posts properly before you post... you linked to the same place as me  Wink
but the WOW is because on "Value", there are entries in the shaping table for 50Kb, thats like 6KB a sec !

Correct
but imagine how quickly you could reach your usage allowance if it was set to a high level. You've got to remember its a 'value' product.... its very much like buying a second class stamp. you can still do downloads etc. but expect it to take a few days extra  Grin Wink
The idea behind the value package, is it goes for the cheap end of the market - and looks after people who send an emails, and do general light browsing Smiley
pierre_pierre
Grafter

the only way I would have known was if I clicked the link as you hid it was Kitz,  Plusnet do have ther own tables which are not so easy to compare as Kitz
like here http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/download_speeds.shtml
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

@Pierré If you hover over the link in Firefox you can see the URL in the bottom left corner....handy for spotting fake links before clicking into trouble Wink
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine