cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBYW Option 1 - refresh?

Nick_Russell
Grafter

BBYW Option 1 - refresh?

With the new product refresh there was no change to BBYW Option 1.  I have read that this was owing to the fact that this is PAYG and so an increased usage allowance was not applicable.  Fair enough.
So why oh why does this product have any restrictions on it?  I just cannot see why for a PAYG product any access should be restricted.  My particular beef is about VPN/VNC.  I am trying to get my mother (pensioner, poor, don't weep) to move from dial-up to broadband. I currently use RealVNC via her dial-up.  It works but painfully slowly.  The restrictions on Option 1 mean that even if she switched to BBYW Option 1 the VPN/VNC speed would not improve that much.  By the way she is a huge user, maybe 1 GB per year.
I know Plusnet don't want to keep on refreshing and changing products but seeing no changes have been made to Option 1 couldn't a change now be made removing all restrictions?
20 REPLIES 20
blazingtrailer

Re: BBYW Option 1 - refresh?

I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this question but as Nick's post refers to this mornings plus net circulation email - here goes.  Any advice for this long standing though inexperienced user would be appreciated.
I received the email this morning telling me that I was Broadband Premier Option 1 customer.  (Not BBYW Option 1.)  The email invited me to consider changing, also adding that my current product has a peak time of 4pm to midnight, whereas BBYW is 8am to midnight.
Is plus net inviting me to downgrade from my current option and save money?  What about the two web site domains that I have with my current Premier package, will they be unaffected? 
I notice that my broadband usage is quite low these days - due to two heavy usage young people moving out of the house.  Is plus net encouraging me to downgrade?  If so why don't they say so explicitly?
thanks in anticpation of a reply that will dispel my confusion on this point.
zubel
Community Veteran

Plusnet are encouraging you to view the information presented and then make a decision based upon that information.
If you consider moving to BBYW a downgrade, then it is up to you to decide whether the reduction in monthly cost is worth moving for.
You are under no commitment to move, and if your current product suits your requirements, then you can stay!
B.
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

That email was sent to all non BBYW residential customers who hadn't opted out as far as I know.  For some people the BBYW products will be better and/or cheaper.  For others they may not be.  It all depends on what you download, how much you download and when you do it.  The peak hours are different on the products and the priorities are as well.
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

hulls
Grafter

I got the email as well, but not until after I'd been following developments on the forum.
As I see it, BBYW option 2 would slow down P2P and Usenet traffic a bit (I don't use either extensively) and reduce my free Anytime minutes for VOIP from 240 to 120 (I don't use it a lot), and change my "unmetered" bandwidth from midnight - 4:00pm to midnight to 8:00am  my total usage is around 8 or 9 GB, so unsurprisingly I'm seriously considering the move. Smiley
John
James
Grafter

Ultimately the reasons why no changes have been made to BBYW1 have nothing to do with PAYG.  The long and short is that BBYW1 has very tight profit margins and we weren't in a position to double the usage (although we did think about it).
It's still a good product at a good price from my perspective.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

And that is the purpose of the email to legacy product users. To make you aware that changes have been made which could be to your benefit. But it is your decision as to what you do.
Nick_Russell
Grafter

Quote from: Jameseh
...we weren't in a position to double the usage (although we did think about it).

I don't want any changes to usage.  I'm happy with the PAYG method. I just want restrictions removed so I can connect at full speed using VPN/VNC.
Nick_Russell
Grafter

I've had another thought about this.
BBYW Pro is £19.99 per month with no restrictions (15GB per month) .  BBYW Option 1 is £9.99 per month with lots of restrictions (1GB). So a person on Option 1 using 15GB would pay £9.99 + 14*£1 = £23.99.  So why can't they have no restrictions like Pro?
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Well for a start the Pro users aren't ALL using their full allowances and the pricing is done on that basis. If they did I suspect PN would make a loss.
If they all averaged say 8GB then the Option 1 equivalent price is £16.99...
But only PN know the real facts  Crazy
geewizz
Grafter

Quote from: Nick
BBYW Option 1 is £9.99 per month with lots of restrictions (1GB). So a person on Option 1 using 15GB would pay £9.99 + 14*£1 = £23.99.  So why can't they have no restrictions like Pro?

What's stopping them upgrading to Pro?
Nick_Russell
Grafter

Of course if I wanted 15GB I could switch to Pro. My whole point is I don't want lots of GBs.  I am looking for say 1-2GB on an Option 1  PAYG basis (for my mother for example) so I she can have limited VPN use with no restrictions so I can connect to her machine.  I am happy with my option 2 and may even switch myself to Pro to get no restrictions.
Spider
Grafter

Sounds like Pro Lite is the answer to your problems. Let's just hope it gets off the drawing board for those users who would be interested in it.
jmd
Grafter

Sorry - what is VPN? Undecided
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2