cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBYW Option 1 - Router options

Wheel_nut
Grafter

BBYW Option 1 - Router options

I have a couple of potential referrals for whom BBYW Option 1 would be perfect. They are Silver Surfers, never game or p2p and use under 500KB/ month. One is currently with Orange and the other with Tiscali so both would be MAC Migrations.
In an earlier discussion, Ian was soliciting opinions with a view to standardising the "Free" Router on a 4Port Wireless Router. Id this likely in the next product refresh? When is that likely to be?
Also, I am still waiting for BBYW Pro Lite or Chilly's "Park or Ride" product for myself. Any outlook on that?
7 REPLIES 7
James
Grafter

Re: BBYW Option 1 - Router options

Hi Wheel nut,
We currently don't have any time scales on the standardisation of hardware, but I know that Ian is still talking to a number of hardware suppliers.
No news on PAYG Lite yet.  We'll be prioritising what we're planning to do for the next financial years in the coming week or so and after that we may be able to have a better idea on timescales.
Wheel_nut
Grafter

Hi James
Thank you for the quick reply. I hope there is some news on these fronts soon. These two users are keen to dump their current ISPs but both are currently using modems so the Router is an important consideration especially since DSL Depot are out of ST585V6s  Cry .
I am off on my first of four salt-water therapy and sand grading  breaks between now and June so will watch for developments in between.
Best wishes, R
chillypenguin
Grafter

Quote from: Wheel_nut
Also, I am still waiting for BBYW Pro Lite or Chilly's "Park or Ride" product for myself. Any outlook on that?

I am not sure that I should get the credit for "Park or Ride", but you can always downgrade a BBYW to option 1 to park it at £9.99 per month. Knowing the wholesale costs I can not see PlusNet being able to offer a lower monthly cost.
Chilly
Wheel_nut
Grafter

Hi Chilly,
I thought that the Park or Ride concept came from you.  Smiley
Option 1 really doesn't do it for me. Whereas I use around 2GB on a busy month, I am too impatient to want to deal with being throttled when I need something downloaded.
There are many like me who would rather pay a connection fee plus a premium fee for priority data transfer usage. I am getting this from NewNet at present for £12-95 with 3GB included Data Transfer. Having made the move, I need something equal to or better than that to bring me back. I am asking for a Pro Lite product with Pro Data Transfer charges per GB but with minimal included Data Transfer Allowances.
I know that Ian and James are working on it.  Smiley
R
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Ah - you mean PAYG - like I am on
chillypenguin
Grafter

Penny drops, you are looking for BBYW Pro without the allowance. I was thinking of users that for example are taking an extended holiday, and instead of cancelling their account, place it on hold ready for when they get back. (Cheaper and less hassle, than cancelling and reactivating.)
Chilly
Wheel_nut
Grafter

OldJim, Yes, I was on PayG when I was last at PlusNet. I did get seduced intp BB Plus but that was at the time that the Ellacoya Geeks were playing on the Production system with the profiles and on one occasion, it took me some three hours to download a 15MB Printer Driver from the HP Site. I would guess that you, like me have less time than money to waste and I would rather pay for what I use than waste my valuable time watching a ragged chart on Netmeter while the Ellacoyas ration the resources. Unfortunately, PayG is now obsolete both as a product and also in its design. I firmly believe that there are (at least) two distinct customer sets .... a) thos who want a fixed monthly outlay ... and ... b) Those who are willing to pay for their actual usage at premium service levels.
BBYW is an excellent product to cater to the category a customer set. Today, NewNet is the only ISP who is close to providing the needs of the b set. ....... but...... I know that PlusNet are working on it.  Smiley
Chilly, Your idea really appealed to me because I take at least four breaks a year and my usage is not really constant over the months. I really can't be bothered changing product just to save a few coppers over the slack months. To draw a similarity, both Electricity and Gas suppliers recover the connection overhead by charging a higher rate for the first few units each month (Quarter?) and then a standard lower rate for additional usage. With BB suppliers recovering the fixed overhead in the base cost, it should be very easy to implement this. After all, MetroNet did it but that is another story.  Sad
BBYW Pro Lite with minimal included Usage and a premium rate/GB for additional usage is the obvious solution as far as I can see.
R