cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBC iPlayer help

Julesp1970
Grafter

BBC iPlayer help

i am truing to download the new BBC iPlayer for the 1st time, but for some reason it's on a go slow at only 6 Kbps.....and on a 4.3 MB connection...anyone else downloading this had any d/l problems?
thanks
10 REPLIES 10
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Re: BBC iPlayer help

Hi,
I think it depends on the show you are downloading. I've had very mixed results with it, some downloads have been 400+KB/s some under 50KB/s. I think it's because there's only a limited number of people on the trial and some shows have less people downloading them Checking the ones that were slow for me I was only downloading from the BBC themselves. It was only when I was downloading from other people as well that it would speed up.
I can only suggest keep going and hopefully someone else will start uploading to you in time or pick another show.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
Julesp1970
Grafter

I wasn't d/l'ing a show I was actually trying to download  the actual player from BBC... Huh
Liam
Grafter

I presume it came down successfully in the end?
I didn't get any problems myself, it came down very fast.  Was anyone else using the connection at the same time?
Other than that, is the web generally fairly snappy?  Tried a speedtest at http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk
If all looks well otherwise, then we can only assume that the Beeb network / servers are busy.
Julesp1970
Grafter

Oh it downloaded in the end after about 20 minutes..lol, but when I tried to download a programme it just hung at 0 % so I thought sod it and uninstalled, i  just decided to re-download it and it was very fast (network on friday evening must have been very busy). so all's well Smiley and downloading an episode of Grown-up's  pretty darn quick Smiley so all's good now Cheesy
Liam
Grafter

Good stuff.
Not really had a chance to have a good play with this yet.  Will give it a go soon methinks!
Julesp1970
Grafter

Quote from: Liam
I
Other than that, is the web generally fairly snappy?  Tried a speedtest at http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk
If all looks well otherwise, then we can only assume that the Beeb network / servers are busy.

My general speeds are very good, pretty consistent, only to occassional drop in connection or speed...

alls well anyway Smiley
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Sounds like it was an issue with the servers then, glad to hear that your connection is fine. Please let us know if there's anything further we can do.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Just found this topic so have copied over a post I made in a similar post in Chit Chat.

Can someone tell me how to monitor what is happening with the p2p app?
When you start a download a small window appears which tells you how many peers you are connected to. This has a hide button - how do you then get it back?
How do I tell how many people are connecting to me?
The installation says nothing about extra steps if you are using a router. Do I need to set up port forwarding (I have uPnP off)?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

The only way I found of seeing how many peers it was connected to was to use wireshark and count them. Not particularly efficient. I'd probably forward port 1948 on the router, same kind of thinking as BitTorrent.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
m063
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
The installation says nothing about extra steps if you are using a router. Do I need to set up port forwarding (I have uPnP off)?

You need to forward port 1948. I had thought 1947 also but I can't see it in my router logs so may be mistaken. Mind you, if you don't forward them then the downloads still work, but the uploads don't. Given that you have no control over the uploads you might see that as a benefit....

Updated: corrected ports