cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBC News Embedded Video Regions

gavneath

BBC News Embedded Video Regions

Is anybody else having problems with the new embedded videos on the BBC's site? This is what I mean...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/7302277.stm
It works lovely at my mother's house on Sky BB but here at my house on Plusnet with static IP, I get
"Cannot play media. Sorry, this media is not available in your territory."
I don't know whether to raise this with Plusnet (as in they haven't registered the IPs properly or don't have appropriate commercial agreements with the BBC) or whether to enquire with the BBC as to why they think my IP is not in the UK.
Any advice appreciated.
13 REPLIES 13
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: BBC News Embedded Video Regions

Working fine here in the Home Counties......
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Works for me too in NW England.
David
gswindale
Grafter

Not working here in Berkshire.
Suspect it might have something do with a block of IP addresses that PN use and that the Beeb aren't recognising correctly.
Nick_Russell
Grafter

Not working in Surrey
zubel
Community Veteran

As far as I understand, IP's aren't distributed geographically so for Plusnet to be able to investigate, it would be handy if you have the IP addresses available to PM to the first person from Comms to pick this up.
B.
Mand
Grafter

Hi guys,
I've raised an internal problem to our networks colleagues regarding this (ref 50863). Hopefully it will be as simple as contacting the Beeb and letting them know our IP ranges. Smiley
Nick_Russell
Grafter

Whoops - when I said it wasn't working for me I forgot to say I am at work at the moment!!!  So it doesn't seem to be a PlusNet problem as I'm on a Corporate system.
Here IP address is 194.xx.xxx.x
m063
Grafter

Yes, I'm getting the same problem.
(BBYW Option 2 - static IP)
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I just tried all the reg variations with no problem , except one of the video interviews had my zone alarm go bonkers at BBC trying to play its tricks, all the actual EDF videos no problem
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

If you have this problem can you go straight to www.whatismyip.com and PM me the results so I can investigate further with our networks team.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I've done a bit of digging into this and found this on a BBC help page
I'm in the UK but I am being told that content is not available in my territory
We use technology to prevent people from outside the UK from accessing content that we need to limit to the UK for rights reasons.
Unfortunately there is currently a problem with the system which means that some people in the UK are wrongly being identified as being outside it. Our engineers are working to resolve this issue as soon as possible.
In the meantime, you should be able to access our non-rights restricted content.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
gavneath

Thanks for looking up the info on the BBC site. It seems they know the problem but would rather fob people off than fix it. Any corporate side pressure plusnet can exert on them would be appreciated.
Cheers
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I dont read the previous comment as fobbing any one off, they are working on a resolution