cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Awful service

saskiamarcella

Awful service

I am having a lot of problems with my broadband. The broadband keeps connecting and disconnecting to the internet, my downstream speed can be anywhere between 2Mbps and 10Mbps when briefly connected, nowhere near the promised guaranteed speeds. I have tried calling support, but end up in an endless queue.

Nothing has changed and I have tried rebooting the hub numerous times. HELP...

7 REPLIES 7
wakeman
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Awful service

@saskiamarcella  Welcome to the forums

Have you done the trouble shooting  guide for faults etc. Its the first thing you should do - avoid keep restarting the router otherwise the internal systems will keep trying to lower your connection speed thinking their is a fault.

Follow this guide: https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/connection-troubleshooting/ 

then if still an issue you can report the fault. But be aware there can be delays at the moment due to Covid restrictions for any repairs.

saskiamarcella

Yes, I have followed the troubleshooting steps. The problem is clearly an issue between my premises and the DLSAM in the exchange. I understand how restarting the hub will potentially cause the hub to retrain the speed, however, there is likely an issue with the SNR causing the router to continuously disconnect. I need someone from Plusnet to assist and carry out some tests although I am unable to get hold of anyone who may be able to help.

Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Welcome Saskia, sorry you have problems. Suggest we start with the basics: are you on ADSL or fibre, and what is your guaranteed speed? Is this a new installation or has it worked properly until now?

Testing with wifi can cause many problems, so use an ethernet cable from the router to your computer. This eliminates wifi variables. If speeds are still down or disconnects persist even with the ethernet cable, plug your router line into the test socket inside your master socket (take out the two screws and pull off the front of the socket, you'll see the test socket inside). This cuts out any extension wiring you may have.

Repeated router resets can cause the DLM line management system to think there is a fault on the line and reduce your speed to ensure a more reliable signal. So don't keep resetting the router, DLM may take several days to stabilise.

Let us know how you get on.

Edited to add: sorry was called away so did not see others have replied in the meantime

wakeman
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

@saskiamarcella 

Since you say you have followed the trouble shooting guide I suggest you log a fault on line:  https://www.plus.net/apps/kbdfaults

saskiamarcella

This is not a new service and has worked previously. The problem started about 3 to 4 weeks ago although stabilised for 3 to 4 days during this period. Minimum download speed is 22Mbps although it has never operated at this speed, normally around 15Mbps but stable, which is okay with me. I have fibre FTTC not FTTP. I have worked in IT for a number of years in a technical role and understand how DSL works. We have restarted the hub periodically not continuously, although given the hub fails to negotiate and remains disconnected on a continued basis I suspect the line management system already thinks there is a fault.

I suspect there is too much noise on the line.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

So for someone who is technical and worked in IT I would have expected more detailed diagnostics!

So the basics, is your phone line working?

If so have you looked at the router logs to see why it is not connecting?

Have you tried the basic checks, including the router in the test socket?

And as already mentioned, have you reported a fault.

You can do all the suspecting you want, but some basics would be a lot more helpful.

Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

As Mustrum says, please go through the basics if you expect people to help. For a start you posted on the ADSL thread rather than fibre, which is why I asked about speeds. As you have IT knowledge, you will know the importance of trying (1) the test socket and (2) ethernet cable from router to computer. This may seem trivial but earlier this year community posters filled a couple of pages with suggestions before the OP admitted that he had finally tried a direct connection and found his system worked perfectly ... If you have done these tests please say so.

I'm sure you know that only a systematic approach will remedy your problem(s).