cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Awful P2P speeds, not using available seeds etc.... Am i being throttled.

zoidberg100
Dabbler

Awful P2P speeds, not using available seeds etc.... Am i being throttled.

HI Plusnet, so...
I use file sharing apps rarely as i don't like using them to be honest, only use them when i have to, like catching up on a tv show now and then.
Essentially i have been experiencing slow speeds and not hooking up to seeders for files with large numbers. I have tried various torrents and every torrent gives the same poor seed / download response.
So i called Plusnet tech support to find i was getting my suggested download speed, checked my router and it seems fine, checked speed and again everything appears normal thats side of things. Im using an iMac and bit torrent which uses UPnP and so does my Technicolor router so no need for port forwarding. (i also tried utorrent and other various clients to irradiate that from the list of things it could be).
Here is the interesting bit.
If i restart my iMac my speeds and seeders increase dramatically but then drop back to nowt after about a minute.
Voila!, for 1 minute high speeds etc, then "crash" back down to nothing.
This is an odd issue as everything was fine last week. I have disabled the firewall but am at a total loss at to what the issue is...
Netflix allows streaming but i suspect something is going on in the Plusnet bat cave.
Any ideas?
"do me proud please"
Thanks
24 REPLIES 24
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: Awful P2P speeds, not using available seeds etc.... Am i being throttled.

Weird!  I presume you are on Unlimited?
Does it drop in speed all the time?  Or only just at some times during the day?
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
zoidberg100
Dabbler

Literally today from about 11am I believe, however I noticed it last week but haven't used p2p since then.
As I said I spoke to plus net support.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Is this using a wired or wireless connection to the router? If it's wireless, do you get the same thing happening when you're connected to the router via ethernet?
zoidberg100
Dabbler

Hi Matt, everything in the house is wireless and everything was perfect until yesterday. I watched a movie on netlfix last night in HD with no degradation to image.
No changes have been made to my IMac in terms of software or applications used.
It's odd that after a restart I pick up seeds and then after 1 minute it starts to slow down.
My theory is something your end recognises p2p is happening and turns it down.
I totally understand if this is happening as file sharing does hurt industry's like TV, Film and Music which I have worked in.
But Plusnet and other ISP's need to understand that there are legal torrent sites that people use to share apps and short films etc and not everyone is a download monster.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

The package you're on does not have any rate limits in place, so there is nothing on our traffic management system specifically slowing these down for you.
I appreciate that nothing has changed at your side, however that doesn't mean that something isn't different (updated torrent software, firewall, anti-virus, more wireless signals in the area etc).
Can you try this wired and see whether the speeds go back to normal?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
AndyH
Grafter

Chris
Legend

Hmm looking at your usage, it seems like the upstream is nearly saturated. Try limiting the upload a bit and that should help.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
zoidberg100
Dabbler

I will try that torrent you suggested but all my downloads are restricted at 5kb when initiated. Being a IMac it doesn't suffer from virus's and the IMac firewall is turned off.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Saturated upload can give exactly that effect
zoidberg100
Dabbler

As you can see from this screenshot. The mystery continues.
Its like tech Cluedo, who killed my connection with a candlestick in the server room.
zoidberg100
Dabbler

I could reset the router and then hook up the devices all over again to make sure no one is stealing upload from me.
Just an idea, although i only live next to 3 other people in a field!
zoidberg100
Dabbler

I have been through all devices and deleted any unknown so now its literally just kit i own.
PS3
APPLE TV
IPAD
2 x IPHONE
NEXUS 4
IMAC
I have the day of work so throw any suggestions you may have my way people. Thanks for your help so far plusnet people and others, much appreciated. What a swift tech support service you have...
Impressed
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Can you look at the usage reported by the router - upload is usually separate - and check the amount over an hour say
Chris
Legend

And maybe try something like a bandwidth monitor in case your Mac is uploading without you realising?
http://mac.appstorm.net/roundups/internet-roundup/4-ways-to-monitor-bandwidth-usage-on-your-mac/