cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Awful FTP speed with Plus.net - is this normal?

TomA09
Dabbler

Awful FTP speed with Plus.net - is this normal?

Hello, I have a number of properties and use several ISPs. The only one I'm having trouble with is Plus.net.
The FTP speed is terrible. It takes around 13 seconds to upload a 2kb file. Can someone please post advice on what to do?
Thanks
Tom
8 REPLIES 8
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: Awful FTP speed with Plus.net - is this normal?

Try FTP COMMANDER...  or Filezilla.... it may be the FTP client you are using, and not PN. !
TomA09
Dabbler

Quote from: shutter
Try FTP COMMANDER...  or Filezilla.... it may be the FTP client you are using, and not PN. !

I use CuteFTP and should be able to use any FTP program. There's some kind of a problem with PlusNet it seems.
TomA09
Dabbler

Just a quick note - I've tried FileZilla - same problem. Over 10s to upload files - it's now 18.04.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

what package are you on some are throttled to non PN sites see http://www.kitz.co.uk/isp/plusnet_shaping.htm
TomA09
Dabbler

It's plusnet premium...
I see it's throttled down to 256Kb on that package. But surely I should be able to upload a 4kb file in under 13 seconds?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

not necessarily so A) we are on Plan B restriction, B) the 256 is the maximum, FTP etc are scheduled behind VOIP and gaming as shown on the bottom of that page, and will thus run even slower at peak times
TomA09
Dabbler

Quote from: pierre_pierre
not necessarily so A) we are on Plan B restriction, B) the 256 is the maximum, FTP etc are scheduled behind VOIP and gaming as shown on the bottom of that page, and will thus run even slower at peak times

Hey Piere, thanks for the help. That sounds exactly like what's going on.
I've upgraded to Pro - which appears unrestricted. I'll update you if it fixes the problem.
Thanks again
Tom
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re:Awful FTP speed with Plus.net - is this normal?

Hi TomA09,
Let us know if you have any more issues and we'll take a look.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.