cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Awful Downstream Speeds!

Finguz
Grafter

Awful Downstream Speeds!

Opening this thread as requested, after initially posting in the " peaktime latency spikes " thread.

19 REPLIES 19
Finguz
Grafter

Re: Awful Downstream Speeds!

You can see the speed drop like a stone on the graph in the following link...
http://www.speedtest.net/results.php?sh=b9476b9e78f7a717356d744778702ab7&ria=0
AndyH
Grafter

You're near Weston Super Mare right?
Finguz
Grafter

No I'm in Scarborough  Wink

Speed has increased slightly....
AndyH
Grafter

Woops...apologies!
Have you managed to find anyone else on your exchange with the same problem? Does your friend with the home hub have fibre too?
Finguz
Grafter

No need to apologise  Smiley
Only the GF's parents that I know of, and they're away on holiday. However the GF has a key to their house and we're going to be popping round to check at around 7 this evening. Several other people I know have broadband, and everything is fine for them, but they're not on fibre  Undecided
AndyH
Grafter

I'm bamboozled on this one...pings are low, yet speeds are shocking. The evening peak time problem before was shocking speeds + high pings - so it doesn't look like a repeat of that problem. Exchange congestion is normally associated with high pings too.
Will be interesting if your GF's parents have normal speeds. Not sure what PN would do then....
30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

My speed is as stable as ever, but my pings have dropped over the last few days.

Happy Days  Shocked
30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

That test was over wifi as well  Cheesy
Finguz
Grafter

Well, speeds seem to have slowly crept up overnight.

Still nowhere near my profile though - Profile for your line is - 72.53 Mbps  Undecided
Here's hoping there is some information available today.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi,
Could you update your Fault Ticket with your engineer availability please and we'll take a look at what dates we can get an engineer out for you.
Finguz
Grafter

My ticket has been updated.
I have to go out now, but when I get back I'll give you a call because, as I said previously, I don't think an engineer coming here is going to tell us anything we don't already know from the last one's visit less than 10 days ago.
This is looking very much like congestion.

Attached is a small overnight graph, with the hourly average of auto speedtests running every 10 - 15 minutes...

Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

To be honest, I think you're probably right. Your exchange is 'Amber'. Leave it with me, we'll not send out an engineer just yet. I need to get in touch with our suppliers and find out what the plans are for getting this sorted out.
P.S - I've taken personal ownership of your ticket so if you send a response it shouldn't be too long before I get back to you.
Finguz
Grafter

Thanks Chris, I've replied to my ticket, and there's no need for me to ring you now.
Roll on next week  Cool
nittygritty
Grafter

do you leave your router on 24/7? as i was told by plusnet if you turn it off and on, your speeds drop as the exchange thinks theres a problem?
yet the funny thing is, i was with sky unlimited a while back and i turned my router off when pc was not in use, and i constantly got normal speeds of around 13-17mb?
someone is wrong i guess, because if the statement above was true, then the speeds i had with sky would not have been constant