cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Awful, Awful line speeds and regular dis-connects

Vega
Rising Star

Awful, Awful line speeds and regular dis-connects

I've suddenly been getting awful line speeds and regular disconnections by my router (Netgear DG834G). I've rebooted the router, checked different DSL filters and also connected directly to my main BT socket with no improvements. See the following results from speedtest.net  Undecided  Sad

Also attached are my router stats which dont really explain my problem either. No changes have been made to my internet connection or anything connected to my phone sockets since this problem. What should I do?
Cheers
Matt
13 REPLIES 13
Vega
Rising Star

Re: Awful, Awful line speeds and regular dis-connects

Managed to get mybroadbandspeed.co.uk to finally load
Here's more results from router connection to my main BT socket
jkerr82508
Grafter

I have the same router and am having the same regular drop outs. It seemed to start at the time of this service status report:
http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1294680010.htm
I've no idea if there is a connection. I've tried powering everything down for an hour, but this does not seem to have resolved the problem. I'll wait until tomorrow before investigating further. It's getting close to my bedtime. Smiley
Jim
Vega
Rising Star

I dont think its related to this as I've had the problem for a couple of days now and rebooted/reconnected a few times since this service report  Undecided
jkerr82508
Grafter

I haven't had a drop out since I made that post.  I'll leave it overnight before concluding that it was one of those inexplicable events that sometimes occur. Smiley
Jim
Vega
Rising Star

Same problem using the BT test socket too. Gonna borrow a friends spare router tonight. If the problems still there I'll raise a ticket by completing the Plus Net broadband troubleshooter (Its half complete at the moment until I do the router test)
Matt
jkerr82508
Grafter

I see this morning that my profile has been dropped from 6500 to 4500. Since my connection has been stable since last night, this suggests that my drop outs may have been due to line problems. I suspect that BT's local loop (cables/equipment) is deteriorating. When I first had 8m broadband my profile was a rock solid 7500.
Jim
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Matt,
When you plug into your test socket you won't see any difference on a speed test if your profile has dropped. What you may see though is the sync rate increase and if this is the case then once the sync rate increases, the profile will follow.
Jojo Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Jim,
It looks like the drops between 18.00-20.00 last night did the damage. Whatever you did after that seems to have corrected it as from 10pm the line has been stable again (the drop at 2am was the ip profile changing) If the line stays as it is then it won't be too long before the profile lifts again.

Jojo Smiley
jkerr82508
Grafter

Joanne -
Many thanks for this information, especially the explanation of the 2am drop, which had puzzled me.  Cheesy
Jim
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: Vega
and rebooted/reconnected a few times

That in itself could be a reason for poor speeds. The BT systems will see it as an unstable line prone to disconnections and will slow it down in an attempt to make it more stable.
A constant 24x7 connection is ideal for optimal speeds - but it takes the BT systems time to recognise it is stable and increase the speed.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Vega
Rising Star

Ah that makes sense thanks Jojo
I'll check out my router stats when I connect to the test socket again (I dont keep it connected there because it creates an awful mess of wires across the hallway lol). Im keeping fingers crossed for the alternative router test tonight, in some ways I hope it is my router, at least then I can fix it and buy a new one.  Smiley
Matt
Vega
Rising Star

Looks like it was my router!

I used a Belkin F5D7630-4A. which Im pretty sure is not ADSL2 compatible (Anyone?).
To be honest I've had my Netgear for well over 6 years now so had it coming. Time to buy a new one me thinks 🙂
Matt
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Matt,
Good detective work there!
Jojo Smiley