cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aware of competition? Hope customer will not notice.

briston
Aspiring Pro

Aware of competition? Hope customer will not notice.

In my mind Plusnet provide an excellent reliable service, the reason why I have been a customer for so long. However I have just made an enquiry as to how long my contact has to go as I entered into a 2 year contract at a time I cannot remember. It seems that I am not in contact, only the monthly roll on. I was questioned as to why I wanted to know and said that others, including BT were being very aggressive and now plusnet are very expensive. Immediately I was offered £4/month off my bill. Indicating that this was still no where near what other ISP's were offering it was suggested I be put through to another department to see if they could be done. I declined this as where other companies are active in getting business I do not see why I have to go to my current supplier and negotiate. I would hope that I would be looked after and best rates always offered. Sadly this is not the case. On finishing the call I sat down only to have a plusnet advert on TV expounding how low price they are.
Just a suggestion to powers that be. How about periodically looking at customers account to make sure they have the best offering to suit their requirements, including price.
54 REPLIES 54
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

Re: Aware of competition? Hope customer will not notice.

no business does what you have suggested.
also, which ISPs have you found that are considerably cheaper than plusnet with a like-for-like product?
briston
Aspiring Pro

EE look at my usage and have suggested a different product for my mobile which resulted in £2/ month saving
briston
Aspiring Pro

The better deal? Non other than BT.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

According to the BT website there are two offerings for ADSL
For unlimited (the other is 10GB usage) it is £7.50 for 12 months whereas Plusnet is £9.99 less £4 as quoted so £5.99
Not as good as for new customers but still better than BT unless you are on a Market 1 exchange
briston
Aspiring Pro

Yes Oldjim you have the prices right for BT. At present I pay £16.99 and was offered £4 discount bringing it to £12.99 of my maths was right. What was BT?  I have unlimited.
briston
Aspiring Pro

Sorry, the important point as has been identified. My exchange is Melton Constable, market 1.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

In my opinion - anyone on a Market 1 exchange would be better off with BT unless there is an LLU offering (could be one and still be Market 1 or A in the new classification)
petecov44
Grafter

Quote from: chenks76
no business does what you have suggested.
also, which ISPs have you found that are considerably cheaper than plusnet with a like-for-like product?

Im running my own ISP now and I can do it at wholesale price if I wish - I can do both bot less than PN charge on a market 3 exchange. And I will once my contract here runs out or I buy it out. I was going to get a many of my local area to refer to them but now I can get them all and make more money
Sweet
petecov44
Grafter

Quote from: briston
In my mind Plusnet provide an excellent reliable service, the reason why I have been a customer for so long. However I have just made an enquiry as to how long my contact has to go as I entered into a 2 year contract at a time I cannot remember. It seems that I am not in contact, only the monthly roll on. I was questioned as to why I wanted to know and said that others, including BT were being very aggressive and now plusnet are very expensive. Immediately I was offered £4/month off my bill. Indicating that this was still no where near what other ISP's were offering it was suggested I be put through to another department to see if they could be done. I declined this as where other companies are active in getting business I do not see why I have to go to my current supplier and negotiate. I would hope that I would be looked after and best rates always offered. Sadly this is not the case. On finishing the call I sat down only to have a plusnet advert on TV expounding how low price they are.
Just a suggestion to powers that be. How about periodically looking at customers account to make sure they have the best offering to suit their requirements, including price.

PN would never do that, no company would as they want people to pay high and use low.
briston
Aspiring Pro

TalkTalk have LLU on my exchange. Also EE are offering less but that is only because I am an orange customer. Regrettably, in today's climate regarding my wallet it looks as if the writing is on the phone socket.
petecov44
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
In my opinion - anyone on a Market 1 exchange would be better off with BT unless there is an LLU offering (could be one and still be Market 1 or A in the new classification)

Indeed although even then it's all new customers only.
my dad - £20(ish) for ADSL a month with PN and £15.95 for phoneline , Neightbour (new customer) £18 for both . My dad has no such offer on the portal so hes going to mirgate to our new system. I would have suggested LLU with talk talk but as fibre is literally around the corner as well as November launch I will no bother
He's not really bothered but goes to show how much new customers get better.
As I sad here yesterday - they are paying £8,99 a month I am paying £19,99 - I've been here a few months more that's all - it's all so unfair which is why no, thanks to having access to both the BB And telecoms side of BTO and C+W I can set my own rules and fair and decent prices for all! With all the tools I had available at Plus net and much much more.  The wholesale cost is staying low but the profit mongering is always on the increase.
petecov44
Grafter

Quote from: briston
TalkTalk have LLU on my exchange. Also EE are offering less but that is only because I am an orange customer. Regrettably, in today's climate regarding my wallet it looks as if the writing is on the phone socket.

EE are offering my friend £15 a month phone and ADSL over BT I am sure they can go it much less on their own network.
briston
Aspiring Pro

I see I should be able to get fibre in December, I have noticed cabinets going in. I think I will wait and then move.
petecov44
Grafter

Yes should do
Which is your exchange?