cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Averaging 12GB a day

roy906

Averaging 12GB a day

We have been having lots of issues with being unable to connect to the internet and slow connections on our laptops.  It turns out that we are using 12GB of data a day which plusnet say is causing the issues?  Is this a lot of data and above average?  I have been monitoring the speed at different times of the day and when the kids are on youtube or watching a film online and we are running at about 18 - 20mbps.  

4 REPLIES 4
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Averaging 12GB a day

Streaming is greedy, and if you are on a limited package (say 10gb monthly) this'll be expensive.
Check your own usage regularly here:
https://portal.plus.net/view_my_broadband_usage/index.php

You may want to impose some (hours of use) usage limits on kids devices via your router?
roy906

Thanks for the reply.Fortunately we are on an unlimited connection.  We are going to tighten up on hours of use via the router to limit it.  For some reason we are unable to check on our usage via the link you gave, I have to rely on Plusnet sending me the figures. 

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

I should raise a complain if usage link doesn't work; you have to be logged in first on PN Portal for it to come up; it maybe you have a pop up blocker preventing the window from appearing.

If no joy, I'd raise it via CHAT; again that only works with pop up blocker OFF.

When it works you'll be able to gets lots of usage data as screengrab.

JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Not sure what problems you are actually experiencing - it's not so much the total daily usage which could be an issue but how many of your household are trying to stream video at the same time - you may well be maxing out your available bandwidth, even though 18-20Mbps is pretty good for ADSL broadband.

I need to have a think about @Gel's post regarding the usage tables, which haven't worked for some time for me and I thought were 'officially' broken for the time being...