cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Average BT fault fix time

pebblypuss
Dabbler

Average BT fault fix time

I know this is a 'how long is a piece of string' question, but I just want a connection
Moved house, and it took BT 2 weeks to install line. It's a new conversion of an old property. There were phone lines to the premises but not actually connected. After a week and a half BT said the line was active, but it wasn't. It took another few days and an openreach visit before we got a working POTS line. Bear in mind that I couldn't  even order BB on this until it's working, so now that's under way.
7 days after that Plusnet tell me it should be active, but BT hadn't updated their records, so it wasn't. I wait 2 more days.
PN now say go ahead and connect. Except I can't as there's no sync to the exchange.
I'm in a rural area, but only 2km from the exchange and all my neighbours from the same pole have a working connection - they're BT home hubs 'cos I can wifi scan them all!
I do all the tricks so:
Straight into (brand new) master socket.
Into master socket via 2 different filters
Tried different RJ11 cable
Tried different modem/router
Leave off overnight, disconnected.
Still no sync.
Called PN back and they escalate to BT. Nothing happens over the weekend so I call again yesterday and BT have apparently modified the interleaving and made other changes. Well this might have made a difference to sync speed, but I still can't sync in the first place.
So I'm still waiting to hear from anyone, BT or Plusnet as to what happens next.
And my question is, Is this normal? How long has anyone else had to wait for a pair of copper wires to be crimped at each end and some jumpers placed on them?
I know it's not that simple but I have a cupboard full of tea for a knowledgeable BT engineer if they want to sort it out.
6 REPLIES 6
James
Grafter

Re: Average BT fault fix time

Hi,
I'm sorry you've been having a rough time.
The simple answer is that no, it's not normal.
I've passed your fault back to BT for some further investigation, but I suspect that they will come back to us relatively soon, asking for us to book an engineer for you.
pebblypuss
Dabbler

Wow, thanks James.
I just need to persuade the boss that I need another day off for BT.
I'm using a netgear DG834G v2 which was recommended a while back for being relatively stable with ADSL max. It's using v3.01.31 firmware, so I'll also try the newer 3.01.38 firmware tonight too.
But given that a generic conexant' chipset router won't sync either I'm not holding out any hope for the router fix. It probably is the line somewhere.
James
Grafter

Yep, I'd go with that diagnosis too.
Just sounds like some misjumpering work that they've missed when they checked it first time round.
pebblypuss
Dabbler

Still no word from BT.
How long have others here had to wait for an ADSL engineer?
prichardson
Grafter

Well, your fault has not been handled very well at all to say the least, even after reporting it to us on the forums.
I see no current reason for your fault to have an engineer out just yet, as there are some BT Engineering actions that should have taken place, have not taken place and need to take place first.
Your fault is an ELF (Early Life Failure). This means it has failed or has not operated in the first 28 days of service dispite the correct set of tests being completed.
I am currently on hold to BT and will update your ticket shortly with some further information.
pebblypuss
Dabbler

Well, I'm pleased to say the fault has been fixed. As luck would have it my line was suffering cross-talk whilst the engineer was on site. This was confirmed as a 'split-pair' where my line isn't going down a twisted pair to the exchange, rather two legs of other pairs, so there's no interference suppression.
Although the engineer didn't have the right bit of kit to fully diagnose it, he did find me one of the very last unused cable pairs and patched me over. It all works now. Apparently we also have aluminium cabling in parts, but syncing at 3.5 Mbps, so happy. Strangely though the original line passed every test that BT threw at it, which probably explains why it took so long to get sorted.
Mark