cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autoturn server and FINGER command

cockleybarn
Dabbler

Autoturn server and FINGER command

FINGER POSTMASTER@AUTOTURN.PLUS.NET returns my IP address successfully, followed by the ERROR message: Finger: read::Connection reset by peer.
It should return the number of emails queued on the autoturn server. Am using fixed IP and SMTP to my NS Exchange server, but error is reported from any pc on the network.
Does anyone know whetehr this error is being returned from PN Autoturn server or from FINGER cmd timing out?
I can ping PN Autoturn derver in 20ms.  Angry
8 REPLIES 8
prichardson
Grafter

Re: Autoturn server and FINGER command

Are you doing this from a Windows system?
My understanding is this is how Windows handles the connection close.
A number is only returned when messages are waiting for delivery. The absence means no messages are waiting.
cockleybarn
Dabbler

Yes, this is from a Windows system.
I used to get a reply saying "0 messages queued"
[autoturn.plus.net] is returned 'instantly'.
IP address [CR] and the error message is returned after approx 23 secs - may indicate some sort of time-out
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Hi,
I think Autoturn stopped displaying the "0 messages queued" message a month or two back when it was rebuilt. The message you get is normal for Windows, this is what I get
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.CACTUSJACK>finger postmaster@autoturn.pl
us.net
[autoturn.plus.net]
8> Finger: read::Connection reset by peer
In Debian I get
dave@colinux:~$ finger postmaster@autoturn.plus.net
[autoturn.plus.net]
XX.XX.XX.XX

Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
cockleybarn
Dabbler

Dave,
Helpful reply, but not sure why?
PN Help suggests all over the place that the finger comnmand returns the number of emails held on the autoturn server. I would expect 0 if 0 held!
Finger uses port 79, apparently, I am currently trying to pass port 79 through firewall(s) to see if a proper response is returned. Maybe MS has patched a firewall to block this port?
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

If there are emails waiting I get the number, e.g. this from this morning (this is from a Debian cron job)
[autoturn.plus.net.uk]
XX.XX.XX.XX
Your IP address is XX.XX.XX.XX
1 messages queued
Email delivery triggered to XX.XX.XX.XX
Not sure about a Microsoft patch, the machine I use is Windows 2000 so doesn't have the Microsoft firewall, might have to do some wireshark packet captures to see if I can see any difference.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: cockleybarn
Dave,
Helpful reply, but not sure why?
PN Help suggests all over the place that the finger comnmand returns the number of emails held on the autoturn server. I would expect 0 if 0 held!
Finger uses port 79, apparently, I am currently trying to pass port 79 through firewall(s) to see if a proper response is returned. Maybe MS has patched a firewall to block this port?

0 is no longer returned since the appearance of the reset by peer message. The way to test the finger commend is to switch your server off and send an email from another account, like google mail, and then do the finger commend.
cockleybarn
Dabbler

Quote from: itsme
0 is no longer returned since the appearance of the reset by peer message. The way to test the finger commend is to switch your server off and send an email from another account, like google mail, and then do the finger commend.

I understand the principle of what you are saying & I'll disable the Exchange Server polling temporally and test it as you suggest. I'm * sure * that it used to give a '0 messages' response! Anyway, if I get a '1 message queued' response which goes away upon reconnection, then all will be well and normal!
Thanks to all for help
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Yeah, it did used to give the "0 messages" so you aren't imagining things. About 2 months or so ago we upgraded Autoturn to give it some new hardware and more resiliancy but I think at the same time it stopped doing the "0 messages".
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology