Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto reset modem?

Bluesplayer
Grafter

Auto reset modem?

Hi
I have a Thomson TG585 v7 modem.  Occasionally I have to reset the power on the modem to get back online.  This is problematical owing to the fact I run a number of websites from home.  This loss of connection seems to occur in the early hours of the morning so presumeably some maintenance has been carried out.  Is there a setting (or even a different modem) that can enable the modem to  reset itself after a disconnection?
Regards
12 REPLIES 12
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Auto reset modem?

If the PPP session drops I would expect the TG686v7 to try to reconnect automatically. Though perhaps that might not happen if a 172.x.x.x BTw IP gets allocated.
Using a TG585v8, during the recent BTw works, I was assigned a 172.x.x.x IP for a while, but after a few minutes the session dropped again. The proper connection automatically restored itself about 4 hours later when I assume BTw finished their work.
If it's sync with the local exchange that is lost I would expect the router to keep trying to reconnect, then move onto and restore the PPP session once sync is achieved.
David
Bluesplayer
Grafter

Quote from: spraxyt
If it's sync with the local exchange that is lost I would expect the router to keep trying to reconnect, then move onto and restore the PPP session once sync is achieved.

I am not sure what the problem is or has been but the only way I can reconnect is to power off the modem and let it restart once more.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

If this has only been occurring during the last 3 or 4 weeks it could be BT Network Maintenance -
http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1338976404.htm
http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1338213249.htm
http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1337612069.htm
http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1337006539.htm
Note - there's a chance that you may be disconnected from the internet for a period of time during the maintenance window. This work may affect users nationwide. (due to the nature of the broadband network these outages may affect customers nationwide.)
Bluesplayer
Grafter

Note - there's a chance that you may be disconnected from the internet for a period of time during the maintenance window. This work may affect users nationwide. (due to the nature of the broadband network these outages may affect customers nationwide.)

It does appear to be maintenance and I appreciate the fact that the work tends to be carried out in the early hours of the morning.  What is bothering me though is the fact that the modem does not auto-connect again.  Or if it does appear to be so the broadband still doesn't work until I power off and back on.  I have a static ip address on this line.  Don't know whether that is making any difference to auto-reconnect.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Bluesplayer,
We can't work out exactly why that happens, but what we need is someone who has not connected automatically to leave it so while we get BT to look at it. Once a customer reconnects we can't see what's caused it.
Jojo Smiley
Bluesplayer
Grafter

I dunno.  Seems an easy way to dispense with this problem.  Obviously I can't leave the modem alone and not connect as all my websites will be offline then!   What you could do...is...wait for it...setup an indentical scenario your end.  Use my type of modem and see if the problem occurs whenever maintenance is carried out.  Now that would be a perfect answer.  Can I get a job with you lot?
dick:quote
Anotherone
Champion

Did you try logging into the modem/router and going to the Broadband Connection page and looking at the Internet PPP connection. It presumably would say Disconnected and you could try clicking on "Connect". (Note you can Disconnect and then Connect to do a Gateway hop.)
Bluesplayer
Grafter

Well I suppose I could but I would still be in the same boat so to speak wouldn't I?  I mean I would still have to manually reconnect.  Point I am trying to make is if the maintenance occurs say at 1am and is only for arguments sake half an hour my broadband and websites will be offline until I get out of bed and reconnect - be it by power off or the above.  Instead of my websites - these I am concerned about - being offline for just a half hour or hour or whatever (not at all concerned about this length of time) they are offline for maybe 6 - 8 hours instead which is potentially very damaging. Also these websites earn me some dosh as well so the less time they are offline the better.  We are talking 34 websites now and growing - see signature below!
Anotherone
Champion

I understand what you are saying, the reason I mentioned it was to try and narrow down what was actually happening. A reboot doesn't tell you whether the modem/router had locked up or for some reason just wasn't re-establishing the PPP Internet session.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: Bluesplayer
What you could do...is...wait for it...setup an indentical scenario your end.  Use my type of modem and see if the problem occurs whenever maintenance is carried out.  Now that would be a perfect answer.

Yes, we have/are and have not been able to replicate it as yet.
Bluesplayer
Grafter

Nice one  Smiley
mcg
Dabbler

My Netgear WNR1000 v2 on FTTC does something similar.
Following a remote disconnection, the router reports it has reconnected (with a new IP address) but there is no access to the internet.
Logging into the router and 'disconnecting' then 'reconnecting' very often restores internet access (with another IP address) but sometimes a reboot is necessary.
Mike