cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto config restoration of router / Refererence Manual for TG585 V8 router

aquamar

Auto config restoration of router / Refererence Manual for TG585 V8 router

Hi,
I need a way to automatically restore router config and am looking for a script that could be adapted to run on a raspberry pi behind a TG585 to detect a hardware reset and then automatically restore a previously saved configuration via the telnet interface.  I also need to execute a command to enable Ping / ICMP responses to (a) any IP and (b) a specific IP address  as my router has inexplicably decided not to respond to ping any more.
I know i am a bit late to the party but to do this I need the Reference Manual for the CLI aspects of the Thompson TG 585 V8 router.  I have had a good search and cant find anything more advanced than the 60 page setup guide for this router.    Does anyone here have a copy they would be willing to share ?  Alternatively, has anyone else got a script that might solve the restoration problem?
Thanks all,
James
4 REPLIES 4
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Auto config restoration of router / Refererence Manual for TG585 V8 router

Google found a copy of the 585v7 CLI reference: https://blog.bandinelli.net/public/E-DOC-CTC-20071119-0014_v2.0_public.pdf
Most of the commands will be the same for the 585v8.
Dare I ask why you need to do this? If the router is losing its configuration by itself, you probably need a new router. If someone else if resetting the router and you don't want them to, I'm not sure a technological solution would be the best solution, but there is a CLI setting to disable the reset button. But then of course you wouldn't be able to reset the router if you forget the login password, or if something goes wrong with the router and you can't login but wanted to reset it in an attempt to fix it.
aquamar

Thanks for the link - I am not sure how I missed that.
To answer your question:
- PlusNet are unable to explain why the External IP Address is not responding to Ping
- The PlusNet fault finding process has got to a point where a hardware reset is necessary to prove the router is faulty
- I don't live in the property served by this router
- From past experience the current config would take at least an hour if not two to re-instate step by step remotely through the web interface.
- the config is not anything out of the ordinary but it forwards some specific ports to a number of systems installed in the property (including a raspberrypi)
- The occupant of the property is capable of triggering a hardware reset but is not capable of reconfiguring the modem after a hardware reset.
- I have no reason to believe anyone is fiddling.
- To visit the property is a minimum 3 hr round trip. 
- I want to progress the issue without waiting until my next visit
I am trialling use of Openvpn as an alternative to enabling specific ports on individual machines.  I have this working to the raspberrypi but have not yet worked out a config that will give me access to all the other machines on the lan.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Ahhh, you only really need it to be done automatically once, I'd assumed it'd need to be left running to restore the config more often than that, sorry.
You really need a spare 585v8 router locally to practice with, not connected to a phone line. Many of the commands will be so rarely used, that it's possible you'll find they don't actually work, or have been disabled (the manuals are generic, but Thomson/Technicolor firmware tends to be customised to varying degrees, although the Plusnet firmware isn't particularly locked-down or anything like that).
aquamar

Yes, I am sure I have a spare one somewhere to practice on but to be honest none of this should be necessary. 
Anyway, with no thanks to Plusnet, I have now found and executed two commands via telnet that have restored operation of Ping to the wan without me resetting the router. For the record, I found the solution here. http://npr.me.uk/telnet.html#ping  Whilst it seemed daunting at first, it was quite easy in the end.
What I don't understand is why Plusnet staff seemed unaware of this failure mode and that it might be caused by the router setting for PING_RESPONDER not being enabled. I am also disapointed that they that they did not make any attempt to check the config themselves.  I am sure they must have the ability to access the router remotely for troubleshooting purposes.
It is also a bit puzzling why this setting seems to have been changed in the middle of December after having been working correctly for years.